Question Best modem cable for bt infinity? need about m3

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by lyndonho, Jun 24, 2015.

1. lyndonho

lyndonho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there. just had bt infinity fitted and unfortunately the engineer in his ultimate wisdom placed the new mk3 socket behind my tv in the lounge and not in the existing site I used which is the other side of the room! It was all done before i got home so I want to move the router to the other side room and I need a longer dsl cable. I have read that twisted pair cable is best for this but also read that the best max recommended length is around 1m. I need about 3 metres of new cable to place it where i need to. Any advice please on best place to get cable ? or what is best? thanks

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    UTP would be much better that cheap flat/ribbon "telephone extension" cable.

Bog standard Cat5e UTP should be fine, IMS VDSL frequencies are of the order of some 10's of megahertz compared to the 100 or so that ethernet uses (over UTP) and that's good for 100 metres so I can't imagine there's any kind of "1m limit" on VDSL over UTP - I suspect the 1m figure is pertinent to flat/ribbon cable, not UTP.

5m of UTP would cost such a small amount of money, you might as well just try it and fix any problems thereafter. With UTP, poor termination and kinks/knots in the cable tend to be the biggest problems.