Best Mobile dongle ISP and where best to get the dongle

Giraffe76

Hi all,

My dad has asked me to find out which is the best pay as you go mobile dongle and ISP so im here asking for help and advice on this matter.

Could the dongle be bought seperately as if so where is best to do this?

Regards

williamus

Can only speak from experience...

I've been with 3 Mobile Broadband since it was introduced. Early experience with the standard ZTE dongles was mixed and speed was highly volatile. Outages were frequent and sometimes prolonged. 3 C/S IMHO used to be appalling.

Glad to say that things are very different now. I've got the Huawei E367 premium dongle and I've been very impressed, so much so that I had our BT landline taken out. Speed still fluctuates and at peak times can drop to around 1 mbps but I normally get at least 4 mbps and often 7 mbps. If your Dad wants to do a lot of streaming or big downloads then PAYG MBB will be expensive. I use either 3GB/30 days/£15 or 7GB/30 days/£25 but there are other options.

3's reliability has improved no end. Their C/S is better too, though still heavily scripted. I'm still not sure I'd want to go to them with a serious technical problem, but then I haven't had one for a couple of years now. They quote their 3G coverage as the best in the UK and as we both have iPhones on 3 (after o2) I can believe it.

3 shops are everywhere and seem to stock most of their kit.

At the end of the day no spec is any good without a good signal so you need to do your home work. I'm quite close to a mast and get a full 5 bars/3G/HSPA signal.

If you google Huawei E367 unlocked you'll find a number of sources (besides eBay) that sell it SIM free and/or unlocked.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Giraffe76

That helps lots thank you very much. My dad wouldnt use it very much as hes not interested in much on the net, hence why i suggested a pay as you go dongle but ill certainly look into the dongle you suggested.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Can only speak from experience...

I've been with 3 Mobile Broadband since it was introduced. Early experience with the standard ZTE dongles was mixed and speed was highly volatile. Outages were frequent and sometimes prolonged. 3 C/S IMHO used to be appalling.

Glad to say that things are very different now. I've got the Huawei E367 premium dongle and I've been very impressed, so much so that I had our BT landline taken out. Speed still fluctuates and at peak times can drop to around 1 mbps but I normally get at least 4 mbps and often 7 mbps. If your Dad wants to do a lot of streaming or big downloads then PAYG MBB will be expensive. I use either 3GB/30 days/£15 or 7GB/30 days/£25 but there are other options.

3's reliability has improved no end. Their C/S is better too, though still heavily scripted. I'm still not sure I'd want to go to them with a serious technical problem, but then I haven't had one for a couple of years now. They quote their 3G coverage as the best in the UK and as we both have iPhones on 3 (after o2) I can believe it.

3 shops are everywhere and seem to stock most of their kit.

At the end of the day no spec is any good without a good signal so you need to do your home work. I'm quite close to a mast and get a full 5 bars/3G/HSPA signal.

If you google Huawei E367 unlocked you'll find a number of sources (besides eBay) that sell it SIM free and/or unlocked.

Hope this helps
Same here, although I have the E353 (same as the E367, but without the twisty bit). The E353 has a CRC9 connector on the side which allows it to be used with an external antenna, which I have mounted outside on the wall on my house. Because I am very rural, I can't get ADSL.

I use a Zoom 3G router to supply a connection to all my wifi devices in my house. It's been pretty much flawless in the 2 years I have had it.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom