1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best MMORPG?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Iam, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was playing SWG, my first MMORPG, obsessively until my games machine died mid game recently.

SWG's support forums are full of reported bugs, crashes & freezes, so I suspect that my forthcoming £1200 upgrade/replacement kit won't be playing SWG much ... any repeated CTDs or problems & I'm cancelling my subscription.

So, I'm looking at for a replacement MMORPG.

I've got Broadband &, soon, hi spec kit.

Any recommendations?

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,108
  3. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's run by Sony Online Entertainment tho ... major disincentive to me at the moment.

What's the support/stability like?

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Final Fantasy XI is the best MMORPG I have currently seen.

That is after playing 18 months of Everquest back in the day!

The graphics are simply amazing, the presentation is awesome and it is the first MMORPG to actually have a storyline!

http://www.playonline.com

Not the best advertisement for the game but have a look around the fan sites and you will get an idea of the immersiveness.

I have played nearly every single major MMORPG in the last couple of years, from Anarchy Online, Planetside, Dark Ages of Camelot, Neocron, Asherons Call, EVE Online etc. etc.

None have had me playing as much as this.

You might also want to have a look at Horizons, just released in the states, supposed to have a very interesting system. Although, it is very new so I would expect to wait a little while for the first impressions and stability to seep through.

Here is my mini review :-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103120

To add to this I have now got my subjobs and the initial character creation is nothing compared to the amount of combos and specializations you can get once you apply sub-jobs and get advanced jobs later on.

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Had a look at some first impressions from the Horizons beta and the words are currently stay the hell away from it :p

FFXI is still the top dog :)

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    Kinda glad I'm on dialup now as it means I stay away from MMORPGs.

I've played most of them, UO for 2 years, EQ for 3 months, DAOC for 2 years, dabbled in AO and SWG.

The best by FAR was UO, but notice I said was as EA have finished off what OSI didn't ruin.....plus the game is ageing.

Dark Age is the best recent MMORPG that's matured now and is a smooth playing experience, but it depends on how you get your kicks. Some people will prefer EQ over DAoC for its richness in zones and enemies, but for me daoc is the top dog purely because I could sneak around killing other players:D

ahh those were the days: sold my account for £300 on ebay a few months ago, so daoc is no more for me:p