Best Mini DVD Firewire to PC HD to DVD-R

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by CJROSS, Dec 13, 2004.

1. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Best Mini DVD Firewire to PC HD to DVD-R

Chaps Im in the process of assembling a Firewire PC based solution for my Mini DV firewire equipped Panansonic camcorder, can you knowledgeable chaps point me in the right direction here,

So far I have got a Belkin Firewire / USB 2.0 card
    1 Ghz PIII
    512 Ram
    40Gb HDD
    ATI Rage 128 GC
    Windows 98SE
    Panny Firewire Mini DV Camcorder

I need pointing in the direction of decent sofware for capturing the Mini-DV Camcorders footage, will be burning via an external DVD-RW Rom. So is there a combined package that allows me to do the firewire Mini DV transfer and back up/cop DVD-Vs ? (2 birds = 1 stone)

All info gladly received ie :

OS wise is 98 SE able to cope or should I upgrade to XP ?
    Best external DVD-RW Rom
    Best Internal DVD-RW Rom
    Best software solutions
    Best ways to produce DVD-s from Mini DV
    Cheap preferably :D

TIA

Even some relevant threads would be welcome that I could browse.

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    OK dudes having done a fair bit of searching (and reading MarkE19) on this forum for “firewire” I have ascertained thus :

I need software like this :

http://www.ulead.co.uk/vs/runme.htm

Anyone use Ulead here ?

OK now Im purely querying DVD-RW Rom for burning to DVD. Am I missing much here ?

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Hey, its good to know I can answer questions even when I'm not logged on to the forum :D

Yes the Ulead software you have linked to will capture, edit & create a DVD all in a single interface. Pinnacle Studio 9 also does this, but many people have problems with this software crashing on a far too regular basis.
    I do my capture & editing via Adobe Premiere but do use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 to create the final DVDs. MF is a bit more advanced on the DVD creation but only has very limited editing functions.

TBH theres not a great deal of difference between the DVD writers. Only a couple can write to DVD RAM, but many more are able to read them as long as the disks are not in a caddy. I use (well the older 106) and therefore recommend the Pioneer DVR-108 oem drive (no software supplied with it). This will read RAM disks only but writes to the other 4 DVD formats at up to 16x. If you need an external drive then I would suggest that you get an external firewire case and put the DVD in it - it is often cheaper than getting a dedicated external drive.

Well I'm glad I was able to help with your questions, even while traveling home on the train. I also hope the above is of some help :p

Mark.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Cheers Mark yep your words are of help & information

Quite fancy the Iomega External Firewire / USB 2.0 DVD-RW Rom - £99 from Amazon comes with some bundled software. Ie I hope for capturing etc etc, noticed Ulead Movie fac 3 today as well. Will do some more reading up on the matter.

Thanks again Mark

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    I would guess (ie I've not looked at the specs) that the supplied software would be basic authoring software to create the DVD disks and not capture & editing software.

Mark.