Best Mid to High End In-Wall Speakers

markjames81

Novice Member
Hi Everyone,

Im in the process of designing my cinema room and have looked at various in-wall speakers which are required to fit behind the fabric install in the room. Ive looked at a various speakers to-date in terms of price such as Artcoustic Spitfire, Wisdom Point Source Insight Series, Sonance Reference and a little lower down in quality and price the B&W In wall 700's. I have only had the opportunity in an acoustically controlled environment to listen to the Wisdoms and I must say whilst they wont go as loud as the others on paper, the quality of sound is exceptional. Im due to listen to the Sonance reference series later this month prior to making a decision in the next month or two. Im struggling for an opportunity to listen to to Artcoustic and B&W speakers at present.

Im wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to listen to any of the above speaker systems and if there are any others that people would recommend. At this stage im leaving subwoofers out of the conversation but if anyone has any thoughts on what would be best to compliment my room, please feel free to throw your thoughts on those in too.

My room is approximately 6m x 4m and i'm looking to run a 7.2.4 arrangement.

To give you an idea on price points the quotes for the LCR and four surround speakers not including the heights (they will be sonance VP66R) and subs, that I have had to date are as follows:

Wisdom Audio Insight Series - 3 x P4i, 4 x P2i = £17,820
Sonance Reference Series - 3 x R2, 4 x R1 = £11,491
Artcoustic Spitfire - 3 x 8-4 , 4 x Target SL 2-1 = £7,320
B&W 700 Series - 3 x CWM 7.3 S2, 4 x CWM 7.5 S2 = £7,096

I am potentially willing to spend as low or as high as the figures above suggest, however I want value for money and would really appreciate some advice based on peoples experience

Cheers

Mark

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I think most cinema oriented folks would at least consider M&K IW150 or IW300 models. I think Seriously LTD has these in demo room however it`s 4hour trip to one way. AV-Online is about 1,5hours from Liverpool and should have them.

JBL Synthesis got to be one of the best available, not cheap though.

Make a new thread on the subwoofer section as you want to separate these two. People have so different taste when it comes to bass. What is enough for one person might be just meh for another one. Possible size requirements, ported/sealed design, colour/finish, planned listening levels, one or two woofers etc. would be good to mention in that post.

Upvote 0

Harkon321

Good shout! On reflection I have seen these before in Home Cinema magazine and they get very good reviews in there. Have you heard them before?

Yes, I have the IW150 series LCR then IW85 Atmos, IW95 surrounds and a MK V12 subwoofer.

I've also heard the 300 series at Rich's old demo room. Definitely worth considering.
@Seriously Ltd

Upvote 0

markjames81

Novice Member
I think most cinema oriented folks would at least consider M&K IW150 or IW300 models. I think Seriously LTD has these in demo room however it`s 4hour trip to one way. AV-Online is about 1,5hours from Liverpool and should have them.

JBL Synthesis got to be one of the best available, not cheap though.

Make a new thread on the subwoofer section as you want to separate these two. People have so different taste when it comes to bass. What is enough for one person might be just meh for another one. Possible size requirements, ported/sealed design, colour/finish, planned listening levels, one or two woofers etc. would be good to mention in that post.

Really appreciate that information. I have sent AV Online an enquiry to arrange a demo

Upvote 0

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Having done a similar tour with a customer of mine around 7years ago he ended up spending on JBL and thier digital amps as well. 4x 18" subs! So ended up being 7.4.4

MK was also a nice demo, but the budget crept alot so ended up in JBL territory, which then became an obvious choice.

Personally i have never liked the sound or presentation of Artcoustic and i have had several demos at UK HQ.

Wisdom wasnt available at the time.

HTH.

Chris.

Upvote 0

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
Having done a similar tour with a customer of mine around 7years ago he ended up spending on JBL and thier digital amps as well. 4x 18" subs! So ended up being 7.4.4

MK was also a nice demo, but the budget crept alot so ended up in JBL territory, which then became an obvious choice.

Personally i have never liked the sound or presentation of Artcoustic and i have had several demos at UK HQ.

Wisdom wasnt available at the time.

HTH.

Chris.
Hi Chris,
what jbl was that? I think the scl6 is a pretty good price tbh

Upvote 0

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
I think the Surrounds, rears and atmos's were S4AI's & the Atmos's were built at an angle in the ceiling, focused at the MLP. The subs may have been 15" S2-EX's - Have a photo somewhere of the dwarfing a poor little Henry Hoover!!

Across the front we had 3 x SK2-3300's

Interestingly there is a range of mint ex-demo kit available at the moment too.

Upvote 0

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
I think the Surrounds, rears and atmos's were S4AI's & the Atmos's were built at an angle in the ceiling, focused at the MLP. The subs may have been 15" S2-EX's - Have a photo somewhere of the dwarfing a poor little Henry Hoover!!

Across the front we had 3 x SK2-3300's

Interestingly there is a range of mint ex-demo kit available at the moment too.
Tell me more! You can pm me if ok

Upvote 0

mb3195

Distinguished Member
JBL synthesis no doubt.

dan at the sound counsel has 5 x scl4 for £9999

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
From old thread if you are intrested:

The SCL uses a waveguide based on the legendary M2 speaker with a D2 derived compression driver.

Currently using 2x SCL 3's for L&R and SCL 4 for centre my initial impressions are extremely positive, even though they are located below my screen and not in ideal location/ conditions.

For me they are well ahead of my previous KK speakers for clarity, sound dispersion and overall delivery of sound, even when the volume is pushed high there is never any distortion whatsoever, everything is totally clear with very impressive dynamics.

2016-09-30-18-30-06-jpg.766421

screenshot-2018-11-12-at-10-54-45-png.1084100

screenshot-2018-11-12-at-10-59-20-png.1084102

Upvote 0

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Ahh i like the column idea…a lot!
Something I considered, but I’ve read somewhere that it’s not actually recommended. They’re designed to go on a flat wall to even out boundary effects. Putting them in a column doesn’t do this.

Upvote 0

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
markjames81

A Synthesis system has to be on your shopping list - though I’d want to look at the overall budget for the room build and electronics rather than an isolated budget.

Joe

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom