Best mid-range progressive scan player?

GAmbrose

I know it's a very subjective question, but first let me explain what I am after.

At the moment I have a Panasonic PWD6 Plasma with the standard 15 pin VGA port and an extra Component terminal board.

Into this I have the following bits of kit:

PS2 -> Sky+ -> Pioneer 656a -> JSTech RGBtoYUV Convertor.

All these devices are using RGB passthrough in that order and then are input to the Component terminal board

I also have a Pioneer VSX859 amp which has both an NTSC Xbox and NTSC Gamecube connected upto the video inputs via Component. The 'Video out' is then connected directly to the VGA port.

As my thread title what is generally considered to be the best mid-range progressive scan player in conjuction with this screen? I'm not too bothered about PAL progressive scan and I hear there can be lots of problems with various chipsets the different DVD players use.

I'm actually very happy with the current picture quality of my 656a, but I play all my Gamecube and X-box games in progressive scan and it does look rather nice so the next logical step is to get a Prog scan DVD player. Is it worth going all out and getting something like a Pioneer 868 or is that overkill?

Regards
Gary A

gandley

Novice Member
if you plan to just use component for you dvd player, the 868i is probaly the wrong direction. Consider the Denon 2900 or 2200 if that better suits your buget.(unless you can use the i-link feature of the 868i. its also best when used via HDMI)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom