Best Mid Priced Floorstanders for HiFi + Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by TarMoo, Mar 1, 2005.

1. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    If have been looking for speakers with a similar cost to the B&W 600 series 3 which would be used for Hi Fi and as part of a Home Cinema set-up in a room 15ft by 12ft. I don't plan to buy a sub-woofer initially, so a reasonable base response is required and I need to place the speakers relatively close to the wall.

I have experienced the B&W 603 and Monitor Audio Silver S6. Of the two I prefer the 603 because the Monitor Audio speaker lacks base grunt. I haven't selected the Player/Receiver combo yet, but I expect to get something like the Denon 2910/2805.

Other speakers I would like to hear opinions on relative to these two are
    • Acoustic Energy Evo
    • Kef Q Series

And feedback one the relative merits of these speakers appreciated. :)

2. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Kef Q's have the weakest bass of the bunch, so given your preferences I wouldn't bother making a special trip to hear them. If you can though, no harm in listening - you can never demo too much.

B&W DM603 are the goldstandard to beat, especially as so few modern speakers do bass or loud volume well (including B&Ws own pricier ranges..)

Rega Juras (just discontinued) used to pack a punch though, if you can sneak a listen or find a bargain...

3. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I ran the Q7s for two years without a subwoofer and the base was great.

4. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Just looking at other recent threads in this forum it looks like two other candidate floor standers in this price range are :
    • Acoustic Energy Aelites
    • Wharfdale Pacific Evolution
    I like the look of the Pacific Evolutuon because they match my maple wood furniture, and they use kevlar drivers like the B&W 600s. Has anyone compared the Wharfdale Evolution 30 with a B&W 603 or a AELITE 3? Does one of these three stand out as the definitive speaker in this price range for mixed hifi/home cinema usage?

5. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have never heard the Aelites - but Acoustic Energy's older models used to be good: well built, decent sound etc

i have heard a pair of Wharfedale Evolution floorstanders (with 2 bass/mid drivers, dont know what the model number was im afraid) in direct comparison to a whole host of other speakers in a marathon listening session with a friend. we both agreed they were pretty poor loudspeakers - the B&W DM603 are in a different league altogether. even a pair of DM601's put the Wharfedales to shame I remember... also, have you seen or handled the wharfedales in the flesh also? their finish is cheap and unattractive to my eyes, and the general build is poor.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If you like bass then the Quad 22L's should be on your audition list too :)

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Take a look at these too:

Revolver RW45 (£900)
    JM Labs Chorus 714S (£500)
    Tannoy Sensys DC2 (£600)

Loads of others worth mentioning, but these immediately spring to mind as floorstanders that don't mind walls. They'd also sound great on the end of a dedicated hi-fi system (when you see the light and decide to go stereo instead ;) )

DT

8. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
  9. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I had a demo of some Cabasse Ki speakers and similarly sized Canton slimline CD300 speakers and in a room with similar dimensions to my lounge.

I found the Canton speakers a little dull in comparison with the Cabasse. The Cabasse sounded clearer and more confortable to listen to. A sub-woofer would be required with either of these, but perhaps these floorstanders have the advantage of placement closer to the wall without the bass booming unduly. :)