Best method to transfer WhatsApp and Viber messages from Android to iPhone

sraper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My wife has just got an iPhone and I need to transfer ALL her WhatsApp and Viber messages and media from her Samsung Galaxy S9 to her iPhone 12.

What's the "safest/ simplest " way to do this. Don't mind using a PC as an intermediary if needed

Not sure about Viber but with WhatsApp can you not just back it up to the cloud via the settings in the WhatsApp app and then when you swap the sim over into the new phone then download all your messages and media from the cloud?

No Android backup up to Google drive and ios backs up to iCloud and no way to transfer...

For WhatsApp, you need to use Apple’s Move to iOS app on the Samsung. This has to be done when you setup the iPhone. As part of the setup it will ask if you want to transfer data from an Android phone and one of the options will be to transfer your WhatsApp chats.

Don’t know about Viber.

For WhatsApp, you need to use Apple’s Move to iOS app on the Samsung. This has to be done when you setup the iPhone. As part of the setup it will ask if you want to transfer data from an Android phone and one of the options will be to transfer your WhatsApp chats.

Don’t know about Viber.
Pretty sure I used apple's move app. It did not offer to do what's app!

Pretty sure I used apple's move app. It did not offer to do what's app!
When I was recently asked to migrate a friend's stuff from a Motorola phone to an iPhone, the wretched Apple app didn't work at all. It thought about it for quite a long time before issuing an utterly useless error message (of the "something went wrong" variety). It did the same no matter how small a subset of the phone's data I attempted to migrate. I cannot now recall if it ever offered to fail to migrate WhatsApp messages!

I did everything manually in the end. And I never got round to finding out if there was a way to retrieve the backed up messages on Google Drive, because she decided she didn't need them. But the limited research I did suggested it wouldn't be easy (and perhaps not even possible).

Well after a failed upgrade to ios 15.6 (phone went into recovery mode) I used the move ios app and it offered me the option for WhatsApp snd after about 2 hours it all went smoothly 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom