Best method to move my router into another room?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by giggsy11, Apr 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. giggsy11

giggsy11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm moving into a new house on Friday and i want the router located in the second bedroom (man cave) rather than the living room where it will presumably be installed, chances are i'll go with BT Infinity and i want the router located near my computer for convenience and to easily have everything wired up.

I was going to purchase an extension kit and trail a wire round the skirting board, door frame etc into the second bedroom but the one i was looking it said it's not suitable for ADSL which made me re-think if that option is the best way to do it.

Just looking for advice as to the best method for me to achieve this, many thanks.

2. sparkymark75

sparkymark75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Use Powerline adapters? Plug one in near your modem in the living room, plug the modem into this and then have the other one plugged in in the bedroom where you want your wireless router to be.

The best option is obviously running an Ethernet cable but if that's not practical, you could try the above.

3. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,610
    if you are happy to install cable, install cat5e UTP cable (often mistakenly called/thought-of as "ethernet" cable) between the master socket and the router.

Cheap "telephone extension" cables are usually "flat/ribbon" cables and act like antenna over long lengths, which isn't good for DSL. The wires inside UTP are twisted (that's what the "T" stands for) in pairs and the twists help reject the interference.

I've run ADSL over UTP to well over 100m without any difficulties. The longest VDSL I've personally done is "only" 10m or so, but I'd certainly be prepared to try it over longer lengths.

When wiring up UTP for use with "telephone" circuits, you only need to connect one "pair" of wires inside the cable to carry the phone circuit (including DSL.) Convention has it that one uses the "blue" pair for phone, but I guess it doesn't really matter. My favourite link about UTP follows... How to wire Ethernet Cables

If your Infinity is delivered as a separate "modem" and "router" linked by ethernet, then UTP is perfect for conveying that up to 100m - "modem" stays near the master socket - ethernet link to wherever you want your router. Though I thought that BT has stopped supplying Infinty as separate modem & router, so the point may be moot.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  4. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    BT Infinity now comes with a HomeHub 5, which is a combined VDSL/ADSL modem/router. When Openreach installed my FTTC connection, they made up a 20M+ cable with standard 4 core telephone cable and RJ-11 plugs for me to site my VDSL modem/router in a more convenient place in the house. It's been working fine ever since.

5. WarHog

WarHog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Im lead to believe that the BTHub5 should be connected to the master telephone socket, and not to an extension.

When I had BT Infinity installed the engineer relocated my master socket for me, into the room I wanted it. All part of the service.