Quantcast

Answered Best method of removing plasmas anti-glare filter?

demonear

Novice Member
Hi, had my Samsung PS516500E for 3 years & I've just stupidly managed to remove a big area of its anti glare filter after presumably using too much fairy liquid / pressure.

I've decided the way forward with it is just to remove it completely as it now has smear marks & an eneven appearance in general. Uniformity being desired & taking the trade off with it then being at least a brighter screen when it was on the darker side.

So far I've heard Stove/Cooker cleaner & Turtle Wax pre wax cleaner mentioned.
Any other ideas troops?

I'd imagine this would become quite common a question as people try to squeeze more life out their beloved plasmas!

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I'd steer clear of cooker cleaner, it's strong stuff, wouldn't want it anywhere near my screen.
Could you not use the method that removed part of it, ie Fairy liquid?

demonear

Novice Member
I'd steer clear of cooker cleaner, it's strong stuff, wouldn't want it anywhere near my screen.
Could you not use the method that removed part of it, ie Fairy liquid?
Yeah you're probably right regards the cooker cleaner. Maybe Turtle Wax glass & mirror cleaner would be better.

I just get the impression that it would be a lot of hard work & elbow grease to just use fairy liquid but I guess I could make it more concentrated.

Thanks for talking me out of that as that would likely have been my next big mistake with the run I'm on just now!

Skood

Toothpaste definitely works. My old panny plasma had to be binned after my toddler smeared toothpaste on it and removed loads of the anti glare filter. To be fair he didn't damage the glass so probably perfect for what you want.

demonear

Novice Member
Cheers for the tips then guys I'll definitely try the Toothpaste method!

I take it once I've removed all the smudges & filter there's nothing I can ever put back on it to achieve a similar effect?

I'm surprised there isn't a big cut to size version of what we put on our mobiles available from somewhere. I also heard there was a spray you can get but I imagine it's a bit pants.

Last edited:

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Be careful if you use toothpaste, it's a mild abrasive and could cause fine scratching.
Would a mild solvent work?

demonear

Novice Member
Be careful if you use toothpaste, it's a mild abrasive and could cause fine scratching.
Would a mild solvent work?
Yeah I think I'll turn to Toothpaste if this lot isn't enough. Digging around my cuboards this is the anti anti-glare team I've assembled! With some hot water & a little elbow grease will hopefully be suffice..

Edit: maybe not the polish right enough!

Attachments

Last edited:

demonear

Novice Member
Just to update the guys & thank them for all suggestions. It's worked really well & I used a little bit semi-diluted toothpaste as well. Did involve a fair bit elbow grease.

There's only a few slight streaks left around the edges as the substance your wiping off has the ability to build up & when it happens can be tricky to remove. I'm fairly sure that's what's happened anyway & I dont think its a scratch or significant damage to the glass. There's just a few around the edges but you can hardly even see them.

Strictly a nighttime / spare bedroom TV now but brought back to life & will probably be brighter than it was before with the filter..

Thanks again!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Psycho Sonny

fairy liquid on a tv?

what's wrong with baby wipes?

i've had to tell the mrs a few times not to use glass cleaner, i bet one day i'll have this issue though as she just never listens.