Best Method of Connection / Problem..

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by flob, Jan 23, 2008.

1. flob

flob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to everyone first of all, read many articles on this site and found it very useful.

Hopefully, someone may be able to advise me on the following:

I have a Plasma TV, DVD recorder, TGC200 decoder and a JVC Cine System - whats the best way to connect them getting the highest qual pic and sound?

At the moment i've got a scart from decoder into AV2 of recorder, then scart from decoder into TV. Unfortunatly the quality is not perfect and when I switch on the recorder it gets worse (not terrible though). I bought a composite lead and went straight from decoder into TV and quality is fantastic. Unfortunatly it needs to go through dvd to record?

TV: Hyundai HQP501HR
    Inputs: RS232, Phone Jack, DVI, PC/DVI Audio, D-Sub, 2 x Component input, 2 x phono input, S-Video, Video composite VCR, Audio input VCR, H Scart, F Scart, Antenna.
    Outputs: Sub Woofer, Video composite, audio composite.

DVD recorder: Pioneer DVR-433HK
    Inputs: AV2 auto scart, Antenna in, control in, stereo audio and s-video input, front panel DV ilink and analogue composite video in.
    Outputs: AV1 Scart, Component video out, antenna out, digital audio out, analogue audio out.

Decoder: TGC200
    Inputs: digital signal in
    Outputs: Scart, component, composite, digital audio, RF antenna, S video.

Cine System: JVC TH-L1
    Inputs/Outputs: not sure, ain't turned up yet.

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I would try a component cable (red/blue/green RCA connectors plus separate audio) from the decoder to the TV. You might have to connect it up via SCART or composite as well at first and select component output (also known as YpBpr or YUV) in the picture settings menu.

Leave the DVD recorder connected up via SCARTs. Perhaps try the other SCART connection on the decoder for the connection on the DVD recorder. If the SCART leads are cheapy ones (usually cheap and nasty black ones that come free) consider upgrading them to Philex, Thor, Vivanco or the Ixos blue ones. All are less than £20.

If you don't know which connections are on the JVC, I would seriously consider putting the purchase on hold and do some research. I didn't check the specs of the JVC but make sure your all-in-one has digital inputs so you can get surround sound from other sources. If the JVC doesn't, I would look elsewhere. The Sony HTSF1100, Yamaha 4101 etc. would be a good place to start. Pixmania stock several under "amp and speaker packages". Look for at least 2 optical and 1 digi coax input. That would a be minimum for a very basic home av setup. Most all-in-ones don't have any, so if you add a games console, sky hd etc. you are stuck.

3. flob

flob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I connect the decoder direct to tv via component, it loses some quality with the scarts plugged in still?

By the way, the lead to tv from dvd is a relatively cheapy one, from maplin though, made up of 2 x 5m leads connected with a joiner. The one going from decoder to dvd is a free one that came with something or other and is about 0.5m long.

The JVC has loads of inputs on it (three composite inputs, 2 or 3 optical audio + others but can't remember exactly.)

Thanks by the way.

4. flob

flob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I connect to TV from decoder, I have to set it to send composite signal instead of RGB. that means that if I want to record on dvd, its all green.

I have instead connected the composite from dvd to tv. set that to send a composite signal when on, unfortunatly sending a analogue video signal through scart - but I just switch to composite input on TV and get a good signal. When its off, it goes straight through on scart at RGB?

Hope that made sense. Still not sure what to do when the cine arrives but if I get stuck I may well be back to ask.