1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best medium for longevity

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by tom101, Aug 22, 2004.

1. tom101

tom101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry to bother you with another potentially dull 'which camcorder?' question but are there any recording mediums which are more or less guaranteed to be useable for say the next 50 years without degrading too much, providing of course that I have something to play the material on? Bearing in mind that technology moves on so rapidly and DVD et al will soon be superseded or degrade, like early CDs have been found to do.

Thanks.

Tom

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Personally..... I keep the original DV footage on DV tape as my archived medium. I always keep the original footage & then edit before authoring to DVD which is my viewing & distribution medium (save the odd output to VHS for those that need it). If I were to get disc rot (not that I have suffered from it) I would then recapture from the original DV tapes & go again to DVD.

I haven't had problems with archived DV tapes or produced DVDs just my confidence is probably highr in the original tapes for storage (perhaps without foundation)

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,404
    I agree, DV tapes are the best at the moment for long term archiving. I have some old DV tapes that are about 5 years old and they still play as well as they did when first recorded. Just be careful about how you store them.

Mark.