1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best match for Denon 3802??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Adele, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered a Denon 3802 (as per my post on the amps forum)

I'd really appreciate advice on what speakers I should be demoing with this to give the best sound possible on a £800-900 budget.

I'm a big stereo buff (probably play more CDs than I watch DVDs) - so excellent stereo sound is a must (I'm using a Marantz CD63 - still fantastic after 8 years!)

I'd also like to build up a decent surround sound capability too!

So far, I fancy demoing:

*KEF 2005 eggs (so many of you seem to love these)
    *Wharfdale Diamond 8.3 and 8.1s + centre and REL Q150E sub
    ...that's as far as my list's got!

I quite fancy floorstanders for the front L/Rs - our living room's quite small (4m by 3.67) and the speakers will need to be quite near walls.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions - apologies if I'm repeating an often asked quiestion!

Adele.

2. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The eggs do seem popular on this forum, and I'm sure many people will recomend them, however I found them lacking upper bass and quite harsh also thought the subwoofer lacked any real impact.

I much prefer your second option, i.e REL150+ whatever. There are some quite good speakers available for little money. You could strech to the Mission Cinema7 + Q150, The cinema 7 can be had for under £400 now, see thread on this forum.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

Kef´s older Q range can be got for good prices now and will certainly sound better than the Eggs.

The range starts with the Q85 (but these are really suited to surround speakers only) the Q15 (bookshelfs) Q95 centre, moving on to the Q35, 55 & 65 floorstanders.

The Q95 centre is not one of Kefs better speakers so you should be looking at their Model 100 which is a LOT better.

Stick with a Rel subwoofer though, they´re among the best available.

cheers

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You may have problems with some floorstanders as they like to be well clear of the walls.

If you are interested in the KEF eggs why not have a look at the Def Tech Pro Cinema range as well. They retail at £1,000 but if you look around carefully you will be able to get something off that.

You don't say where you live but a trip to Bristol this weekend for the show could be very worth while as everyone who is anyone will be exhibiting.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've said it before, so i'll say it again. For the fronts at least go for the 773'e's. If you look at a review (Say whathifi) they were designed so they could go close to a wall (which is why i bought them) you might as well go for the full set (which won product of the year 99 or 2000)

6. soulbrother michael

soulbrother michael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i've got a 3802 which i've had for about 2 weeks,i'm using Mission 774's as fronts,a 75c as centre,mission 771's as surround back's ,mission 77ds as surrounds (got these mounted on side walls slightly in front of prime listening position) and a kef 2005 sub.The fronts are powered by my rotel power amp,my set up sounds wicked ,i would reccomend a mission set up.

7. Duvel

Duvel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I know other peeps think the Kef 2005 are great and they probabaly are but I think they do better with movies than stereo sound which it seems is pretty important to you.

Have you considered the B&W 600s3 series? Both the 601s3 and the 602s3 got cracking write ups in this months What Hi-Fi.

In a room the size of yours and coupled with the Denon you may find a sub was not an urgent purchase if you went for something like the B&W speakers.

I have heard the Denon coupled with the B&W speakers I mentioned and they sound damn fine. Would have liked some myself but funds won't permit.:(

Or as suggested in the previous 2 replys, how about the lovely mission 77 series. Cracking bargains to be had at the moment on these. So good I got some myself:D

Which ever you choose make sure you demo first.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 601s3's and the LCR60 s3 and the 600s3's for rears and they sound Vgood

9. Timmie Boy

Timmie Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have the same size room and I have just treated myself to a pair of B&W 603 S3. All I can say is that my jaw is still on the floor in amazement. I had B&W 601 S2 before and boy am I glad I moved up to the 603's. Coupled with REL Q150E sub and a 2 year old Denon 2800 amp is just awesome. The pod race in Star Wars, well lets just say it "felt" like you were really there at that race!
    I'm in heaven with my set up.
    BTW B&W CC6 S2 centre, Boston micros for rears. Pioneer 626D player.
    Like you I listen to more hifi than movies, again all I can say is Wow! Its a new sound, the scale, the extra detail is fantastic.
    I'm playing all my old CD's again on my new Arcam CD72T which made a difference from the Pioneer 626.
    Just go for the 603's!

10. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try KEF 4 Q1 + 1 Q9, plus a REL Q150 subwoofer, it looks and sounds great, floor standers will be very difficult to setup in any normal living-room...

11. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Very helpful indeed. I've got a good list of speakers to go and demo now....cheers!

I'm going to get in touch with either Hi-Fi Corner (I'm based in Edinburgh) or John Lewis to demo some speakers...or does anyone know of a better place to go in Edinburgh or Glasgow?

I'm sure I'll have quite a bit if time to decide before I actually GET my 3802 amp....oh well, they say patience is a virtue!

For the sake of my finances, I'm quite tempted to just get a really good pair of Hi-Fi speakers first, and get the REL Q150E sub, a centre (a match for the fronts, naturally) and rears a bit later in the year...that way I could probably afford to spend a bit more cash on each item.

It might also be better for marital relations to introduce the new kit bit by bit as my husband seems to think that this is all a waste of my money (and he loves our existing NAD 3020 HiFi amp)! United Nations standard diplomatic skills are definitely called for here!

He'll come round eventually though...especially when it all sounds brilliant (he's a massive CD fan too - hardcore metal and the like - the neighbours are REALLY gonna hate us when this new kit's in)

I do sympathise with all you blokes having to "sell" the idea of new kit to your wives/girlfriends!

12. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't knock the NAD 3020 this is a good little amp.

13. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm certainly not knocking the NAD 3020 - it's a fantastic amp (I use it with my Marantz CD63 and husband's JPW speakers and the stereo sound is brilliant - even after all these years!)

This is why I'm trying to be so careful in choosing speakers to go with the new Denon 3802 I've ordered - it's got a high stereo standard to live up to (even though our existing kit's quite old).

The trusty NAD3020 will be moved to our sitting/dining room as a part of a second Hi-Fi setup for whenever one of us want to watch movies, and one wants to listen to CDs instead...it'll still be cherished!

The JPWs and the CD63 will eventually go with the NAD too...leaving our living room as a combined Hi-Fi/Home Cinema Area with all the new kit I collect (I still want excellent stereo capabilties from the Home Cinema setup as we mostly listen to music in the living room)

Hubby's not too keen on the "new fangled surround stuff" is because the 3020 still sounds so damn good!

14. edinburgh69er

edinburgh69er

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adele,

I was searching for information on the KEF 2005s and read your posting. About two years ago I struck up a relationship with HiFi Corner on Rose Street and can strongly recommend their advice.

Unfortunately, they're not the most competitive pricing wise but then it depends on where your priorities are. If you're comfortable setting up your own equipment, wiring, and don't really need technical advice, then i'd probably buy from someone cheaper. But if you value the ability to pick up the phone and get decent customer service, or indeed just nip round after you've bought your latest CDs from HMV/Virgin, then I couldn't recommend a nicer outfit to work with.

My two pennies worth ? Don't bother with the KEFs. I'm looking into them at the moment but it's purely a compromise on space plus they won't be used for stereo. I emmigrated last year and sold most of my kit which I got from HiFi Corner but I wish i'd brought it with me.

If stereo is your aim, buy speakers which can do music very well. If you're careful, you'll also get a cracking set very capable of producing quality home cinema results. I ended up going fot the B&W 602 S2's up front on some quality stands, with 601 S2 at the back (wall-mounted) and a CC6 in the middle. My theory was if I ever upgraded I would have speakers which were very easily re-usable. Also, if I upgraded my Amp, the B&Ws would cope very easily. For the money, I personally couldn't suggest a better set-up.

And apparently the S3 models which are out now are an improvement as well.

If you want any more advice about HiFi corner, mail me at edinburgh69er@yahoo.co.uk.

15. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Adele,

I've got a 3802, with B&W S3 speakers, 602.5's and LCR60 at the front, with 601's for the rears, and they sound excellent, both for movies and music. Definately a set up to listen to. I've not gopt a sub yet, but the bass from the 602.5's is enough for my small room for the moment.

I was looking at the 600s2 and nearly bought these until I heard the new stuff was coming out (just in time before i spent any money).

16. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the B&W L/R speakers magnetically shielded? I really quite fancy the S3's but I thought that only the centre was shielded - the L/Rs will have to go very close to the TV I'm afraid (v. small room 3.67m by 4m)

I went along to Hi-Fi corner on Rose St for a quick chat and will go back there to demo. They seemed keen to show me the more expensive speakers to "do justice to the 3802" - a RELQ201E sub was recommended rather than a 150E - is there that much difference between the two?

The guy at HiFi corner wasn't keen at all on sub/sat packages and didn't seem to think that the Mission ranges were particularly good (he seemed quite keen to show me the Cyrus speakers).

Oh well, looks like my £800-900 budget for 4 speakers and sub will have to be revised upwards!!

17. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi!

Tannoy MX-AV4 plus the Tannoy MX10SUB (or any other Sub come to think of it!). These have had a good review and are very reasonably priced. The MX4 floorstanders might well produce enough bass temporarily, if you did not want to stretch to the Sub yet. I'm looking at the Mission 72 Cinema pack myself - a bit cheaper!!

Good Luck

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to stay on the low tag price.

I have a denon 3802 in a small room with:
    LRC60 Center
    601 s3 Front
    600 s3 Rear

Cost about £700.

You don't NEED a subwoofer. I am sure that a subwoofer will complete the set, but for the moment it is plenty for me, and for my neighbours

;)

For the size of your room, I don't think you need more. IMHO (and I am not an expert, so it worth not a lot) if you get bigger speakers the sound may be too bassy. That's what I found anyway.

Julien

19. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the B&W 601 S3's magnetically shielded?

That's a must I'm afraid.

I agree about not buying a sub yet - will wait and see what the bass sounds like with just speakers.

Cheers,
    Adele.

20. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    The Sub plays a vital role in 5.1 (6.1/7.1) and should definitely be included in your system set up.

Not many speakers can produce the bass a decent subwoofer chucks out.

An essential item IMO.

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure but I can check tonigh about the shield.

Mine are about 2-3 feet from the TV and I didn't notice anything.

For the sub: I agree that a sub is very important.

But :
    - With decent speaker the need is less. I know that my speaker won't go as low that a sub like 20Hz, but they do Boom when it is needed. At least they impress me during the Star Wars race.

- I prefer to buy now better speakers without a sub and buy a sub next year. than have everything now with less quality. But that a personnal choice.
    I will buy a sub but not now, money could be an issue ;)

22. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    juju

I´d be inclined to add a decent sub to your setup first rather than change your existing speakers.

You´ll be surprised just how much better it will all sound. Once you´ve got a decent sub then think about changing your other speakers, fronts, centre etc

Moving your existing fronts to the rears etc

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jase

In theory I agree, BUT my speakers were some pioneer rated for 25W. :D

I think I am better with my B&W without sub than my crappy old speaker with a decent Sub.

Julien

24. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Sorry.

I meant add a sub to your B&W speakers. Dont blame you for changing from the Pioneers.

cheers

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AAAAAH :p

Ok so I totally agree... :D

I will buy a sub before anything else.... Any idea of which one ?

Julien

PS: Sorry Adele to pollute your post ;)

26. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Whats your budget?

27. Timmie Boy

Timmie Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adele,

What do you mean?

Question for you B&W owners... Are the B&W 601 S3's shielded? Thats a must I'm afraid.

I had the old 601 S2's unshielded and now have the 603 S3's unshielded without any problems from stray magnetic fields.
    Please explain

28. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No,
    The B&W's are not shielded, (only the centres) just keep them 20cm from the TV . I had my Missions at the same distance before i got the B&W'S, and there is nothing to worry about. You have to have your speakers a least 5ft apart to get a true image, so with your TV in between you'll easy have 20cm either side which is enough. I have the exsact same set-up as ju ju, but they only cost me £530 from superfi £700 is a bit steep ju ju, where did you get them from?
    Here is a pic of my 601s 3's. You may have to move floor standers out a little more,but only a little, if at all

Attached Files:

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't really plan to buy the suv now, so I don't really have a budget.

What would be the different budget and choice.

<£200 -> ?
    £200-£400 -> ?
    £400-£600 -> ?
    >£600 -> ?

And from my system, which budget you would go for ?

Julien

30. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    I´d be looking at a budget of 400 upwards if you want a decent sub.

Rel, M&K or the portable earthquake that is the Paradigm Servo 15.