1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Match Center for KEF Stereo pair

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by ShinObiWAN, Oct 27, 2003.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

As most others on this forum I've decided to go ahead and change my entire speaker line up after feeling that they were failing in AV performance - familiarity breeds contempt and all that ;)

Basically I've sold my old Quad 22L fronts, L center and 11L rears. After a demo of a pair of Kef Concerto 1 and B&W DM603 S3 I've gone for the Concerto's and was impressed by their fine and spacious balance when playing my Region 1 version of 'Finding Nemo'. The B&W's were a little bass heavy and slower than Concerto's but I suspect thats because of the extra extension of the B&W's but extension ain't a problem since I have a Servo15.

The problem is I'm having trouble finding a center to match the Concerto's. Can somebody recommend me a decent match for the sweeter sound of the Concerto's?

I've also decided on bipole/dipole model surrounds instead of the direct radiating Quad 11L's I was using before. Can you recommend good models, bearing in mind that I have to buy two pairs I'm looking to spend around £200 on each or would £400 be better spent on a good pair and maybe add another set at a later date?

Cheers all.

2. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I have the Cresta C and im sure it would fit in well with your Concerto's. It goes in fine with my codas as both use a silk tweeter.

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies Ben and DpM.

Can you give me any buy links for the Kef 100, Kef 20c and the Cresta C.

Also can anyone recommend surrounds in the £200-400 price bracket.

4. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to catch a quick demo of the Cresta C in Superfi.

I must say that it was a disappointing exercise despite the economy of the speaker.

It sounds far too hollow and erm... how can I put it. Small souding maybe? Its as if you are hearing the box rather than the speakers - not very open is the best I can think of. One things for sure it certainly wouldn't be a good match for the concerto's even though it appears to use the same drive units and it would be dissappointing in HT use.

They didn't have any 100c in but I've been told that they may do in the furture. I think my mind may already be made up since I've found the 200c for £499 at Creative Audio but I'm reluctant to order without hearing something despite how much praise it has. Failing that I have brushed on the idea of buying another pair of concerto's and using both as the center but this again brings a whole host of other difficulties.

Not even considered looking into surrounds yet as I need to really sort the fronts since these are essential for good HT, in my opinion anyhow.

5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The 200c is, in my opinion THE entry level center speaker for the serious HC.
    If 500.00 is your budget then there is still no center to equal it yet as far as i am concerned, if you can stretch a little further try the 202c (has an rrp of 1000.00 but i have seen one ex-dem somewhere for 750.00).
    Several of us here use them, a beautiful speaker indeed.
    Requires a bit of quality grunt however.
    None of these are a particularly good match for your mains though, however you may just want to downmix everything to mono such is the leap in quality to what you are (with all due respect) using by comparison.

Steven

6. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey Steve!

I've just taken a decent look at the kit in your signature. Very nice and something I'm sure most people would aspire too should they happen to win the lottery ;)

I guess my pair of Concerto's and single Servo15 look a little enemic to say the least compared to that little lot. Thank god I haven't heard it in action otherwise I'd be woefully disappointed with my setup. As it stands I'm pretty pleased, though of course there is always room for improvement.

One question though, how come since you have the Ref 203, 202c and 201 rears you've choosen TDM 34ds's for sides, why not the 206ds's to match the rest of the kit. I'm guessing its a size thing since they are well over twice as high.

I'm still undecided on the center and really would like to demo the 200c before handing over the money. But it certainly looks the likely choice given that it comes highly rated from both the proffessional press and users alike. Its an obviously better performer than the concerto's at the front but will allow me more scope later on when I decided on new fronts plus the center is one of the most often used in a movie soundtrack so its sensible to get something a little more serious.

Thanks again all.

7. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, I have a stereo setup at the moment, with the Arcam A85 and the Quads 11L. I want to buy the 22L's as fronts and the L center. But you didn't find this a good setup? Why did you buy it in the first place then, may I ask?
    Not that I will be changing my mind. I think the 22L's are terrific for stereoperformance, which is most important to me. And I really love the finish, which is also important to me. I hope however that AV performance is also good. Doesn't have to be top notch. I can't think of having to sort out new fronts... pffff, so much work! And then try to get something that looks so great in the interior! Almost impossible...

8. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *bump*

9. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI vanwel, I know someone using it exactly as you plan and he's very happy with it.
    Give it a try, do not buy before you demo it and ...