Best Manufacturer??

garyjd

Standard Member
Reaction score
I read recently that Pioneer was the current leader is Plasma screens (this was there opinion), who would be considered the driving force or best manufacturer in the LCD market.

All opinions welcomed. I'm currently looking at the smaller end of the market 26-28" etc.

Thanks

SONY is the market leader by a country mile, no one else is even close.

PQ leaders once again

That nice to hear I was just looking at a Sony model, the Sony KDL262010U.

i'd look at panasonic too

sharp do excellent lcds as well , partic. for sd

mikepaul said:

PQ leaders once again

Sony uses Samsung screens

xit2050 said:
Joint venture, yes, but the technology used is 90% Samsung.

Care to provide something to back that statement up.

OK. then I'll go in with 90% Sony manufacturing know how:D

Regardless of who provides what part of the SLCD venture, the fact is it's a 50/50 agreement, and the panels aren't Samsung, and they aren't Sony. So posting they're Sony panels, or Samsung panels is factually incorrect.

Also, the panel is one part of the TV. All the other parts give the panel the information it needs display, and for this, Sony are ahead of Samsung.

mikepaul said:

PQ leaders once again
Do you have any evidence to back that up?

I know the new 2000 series TVs are getting good reviews but "leaders by a county mile" is a totally outlandish claim.

Having spent hours looking at sets I narrowed down to the Tosh, Samsung and Sony.

Sony took it for me. Colours were best to my (I hasten to add) untrained but very fussy eye.

Country mile perhaps not but significantly better yes. BUT you have to pay top dollar!

Looks like I have a few to consider, sony/samsung/panasonic.

Why does the Samsung LE26R74BDX have a 3000:1 contrast ratio when the equivalent sony and pansonic have 1300 and 1200:1 respectively?

PeteD64 said:
.. "leaders by a county mile" is a totally outlandish claim.

Yep. A bit excessive. I'll try and dig out one of the latest reports, but from memory, I thjink the market share at the end of Q1 2006 was something like

Sony 16%
Samsung 14%
Sharp 12%
Phillips 11%
And the rest were split all over the place.

What was interesting, is that until the first quarter of this year, no manufacturer had occupied 1st position for all the different TV sizes. Sony has now achieved this. I think they bracket them from: Less than 20"/20-28"/32-40"/40"+.

Looking for report now...

GFK figures are as follows for top 6 Lcd sales Q1

SONY 18.6%
SAMSUNG 18%
PANASONIC 11.7%
LG 9.5%
PHILIPS 8.1%
SHARP 2.8%

:)

Rikwill said:
GFK figures are as follows for top 6 Lcd sales Q1

SONY 18.6%
SAMSUNG 18%
PANASONIC 11.7%
LG 9.5%
PHILIPS 8.1%
SHARP 2.8%

:)

Cheers. My memory is rubbish.:D

considernig the amount of confusion over LCDs and new HD Ready tvs for the average consumer, what does the market share figures actually tell us? that the company top of the list has the bets products or the best marketting campaigns? I would guess the latter...doesn;t necessarily mean sony are the best quality panels does it?...

Well as Sony are top dogs I dont think the market share is driven by price so I would suggest that people perceive sony to be the best Lcds if thats true I dont know, I just posted the figures as a guide to whats popular.

I did overhear two ladies discussing Plasmas about a year ago in JL - they were looking at a Pioneer and one said to the other

'Yes but pioneer are rubbish I'm going to buy a Sony'

or something to that effect just goes to show what advertising and a market presence can do for you

People's perception can count for a lot. I think Sony have always had a good reputation for building solid quality products. That's how I have felt about them but yet I have never bought a Sony product, maybe because of the cost!

xit2050 said:
Sony uses Samsung screens

Yes, but the Sony image processing is what makes it a better LCD TV.

I do agree the Samsung range offers value for money, but when you spend a bit more you get something better.

Sony have improved massively in the last year, in 2005 their LCDs were ok but they were living off their brand name. Now if you put a XXX brand on the front of a new Sony LCD everyone would still vote it as the best LCD. It's not the brand name anymore it's the picture quality and technical inovation.

Sony. The new Bravia screens are stunning. Pricey but worth it. Shame Dixons and Currys fell out with Sony. I guess there is always Comet if you fancy a look at one.

garyjd said:
People's perception can count for a lot. I think Sony have always had a good reputation for building solid quality products. That's how I have felt about them but yet I have never bought a Sony product, maybe because of the cost!

yeah I agree
I remember my grandad forking out a lot of money for one of the original triniton CRT sets when they first came out, it lasted well over 20 years and I used it well after he bought a new set when I was too skint to buy my own

As a result regardless of the quality of sony sets, the brand has a good rep in my family!

still I would debate that they are still that far ahead of a decent panasonic, tosh, smasung even JVC....read an albeit simplistic review based on xbox360 usage of 32" sets recently, they compared side by side and to my surprise actually put JVC top for that.

I am amazed that Sharp have so small a chunk of the market.

I read that a few years ago that two, thirds of all LCD's on Earth were made by Sharp.

I would imaging there new XD1 1080p range coming out soon will put them right back in the mix, especially when you consider that their 45" version will be selling at about £1500 cheaper than the Sony X series.

Sony are good, but they really take the **** when it comes to price.

"SONY is the market leader by a country mile, no one else is even close.

PQ leaders once again"

garyjd said:
That nice to hear I was just looking at a Sony model, the Sony KDL262010U.

I setup one of those yesterday. I`m sorry, but again, a Sony LCD failed to impress me, no matter how much I adjusted the picture settings. I remember installing a Samsung LE26R41BD a few weeks ago, it was a far better picture than the Sony, and my work colleague, who doesn`t really like LCD pictures, commented on how good the picture was - "it`s almost like HD !", and that was viewing Freeview !

Sony may be the market leader on sales, but I can`t accept that they are PQ leaders.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom