Best mains cable for rel 505... pure silver or copper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acer89

Standard Member
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my rel 505 sub mains cable.

Any thoughts on which would be the best choice?

I'm told pure silver produces speed and excellent timing whilst copper offers warmth and bass.

Can't decide which to choose.

I also have a solid wooden floor...should the rel be placed on a granite slab or best without?

I would spend your money elsewhere

Any thoughts on which would be the best choice?

I'm told pure silver produces speed and excellent timing whilst copper offers warmth and bass.....

Is this a Wind-Up?

Do you really believe this crap about cables?

Graham.

Last edited:
I have some special oil that will give both warmth and speed :)

Seriously tho.....cables can only really protect the signal and not change the hardwares speed or warmth.

I bet the person who told you sells things for a living...I'm guessing they have some cables to sell...or they have just bought such cables and can hear the difference :)

Granite slab under the sub....A yes from me

I'd paint the wodden floor with silver paint to improve the speed and timing.

And exactly HOW would replacing the 3 or 4 feet of mains cable on a sub make any difference whatsoever to the 'sound' of the subwoofer, when all the yards and yards of house wiring, and the many tens or hundreds of yards of cable back to the electricity sub-station remain the same ?!? :rolleyes:

Acer

If its an itch you want to scratch (and I have been there myself) then I would suggest you try Russ Andrews as you can try for 30 days and if you don't like you can return. If you like what you hear you could keep and if bit return with nothing lost.

Good luck

For information, the OP has NOT been back on AVF since he started this thread!

Graham.

Beware of the Troll :)

His last thread he started on the 10th he hasn't replied to either despite getting helpful responses in that one.

Thanks.. tried both pure silver and copper... silver gave best results. To those who think mains cables don't make a difference take it from me it does!

frankly I found some of these replies a little flippant and unhelpful.

Thanks.. tried both pure silver and copper... silver gave best results. To those who think mains cables don't make a difference take it from me it does!

frankly I found some of these replies a little flippant and unhelpful.

It's your money waste/spend it as you wish.

Graham.

My money wasn't wasted and I truly believe the improvement in sound is remarkable by using a pure silver mains cable but judging by your flippant unhelpful remarks I guess you have no experience in this field.
Old saying.... "if you can't say something nice keep your mouth shut"

"Different Strokes!"
As long as it makes you happy!

Graham.

"Different Strokes!"
As long as it makes you happy!

Graham.
What's the old saying? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.;)

Last edited:
When you say better can you expand on that.
You started saying copper is warm and silver is faster. Thats for me is different and not better.

So when you say better, better than what?

You can see no one here is of the same belief as yourself about the differences in the two cables so can you tell us whats better with the silver cable and what is it better than.

Cheers

Paul
Ex sound recordist and live sound engineer...& Active class A radio ham. A few years experience with cables and power etc

Last edited:
I listened to two mains cables. Pure silver litz and (occ) (ofc) copper. I found the silver gave a faster sound especially on the crossover. It also offered a tad more clarity.

I also tried the pure silver litz on my Graham Slee headphone amp but found the sound to be a little too detailed for my liking. It wasn't bright just far too detailed and a tad 'in your face' The OCC copper gave a warmer which suited my headphone amp using Grado RS1i headphones

So. Not better then, Just different.

I have all I need from this thread.

I listened to two mains cables. Pure silver litz and (occ) (ofc) copper. I found the silver gave a faster sound especially on the crossover. It also offered a tad more clarity.

I also tried the pure silver litz on my Graham Slee headphone amp but found the sound to be a little too detailed for my liking. It wasn't bright just far too detailed and a tad 'in your face' The OCC copper gave a warmer which suited my headphone amp using Grado RS1i headphones

For optimum "Speed and Clarity" without too much "Detail", don't forget to replace the aluminium power cables of the Electricity Grid, all the way back to the Power Generation Station. :)

Graham.

When you listened to the different cables, was it in a controlled environment? Was it a double-blind test? Did you know which you were listening to?

Can you download REW and graph your in-room response using different cables?

I found the silver gave a faster sound especially on the crossover.

'A faster sound' ?!?

Is that a change in frequency, then ?

Or do you mean 'a better transient response' ?

You really don't help your case by using expressions which sound [pun intended !] nonsensical !

PS Any difference that a metre or so of different mains cable could possibly make is COMPLETELY subsumed by all the other distortion-introducing components in the audio chain; the worst of which are the loudspeaker crossovers (by their very nature introducing phase shift to the audio signal, which varies by frequency) and the loudspeaker motor system, which is an electro-mechanical system, with inertia; and thus inherent non-linearity - the very definition of distortion !

The human mind is a wonderful thing; but what you perceive as 'better' can be influenced by all manner of indefinable criteria; the greatest of which is WANTING to hear a difference - whether it actually exists or not!

How do you get, apart from using a silver cable of course, a faster sound on the crossover. That sentence doesn't make much sense to me. Is it faster on the crossover range compared to the rest of the frequency range?

I think the cynicism has been done to death, so sensible response from now on please.
So you are saying the mains cable bringing power to the sub psu makes a difference? Surely the transient amp power is just coming from the reservoir capacitors in the psu. Do you have any special product carrying the signal from the amp to the sub?

Sorry.. I just can't be doing with this. The responses are just too negative. Get yourself some occ cable and some pure silver litz mains cable and try the difference yourself before making such negative and disbelieving comments. God, I wish I hadn't asked now. You may also wish to get yourself booked in for a hearing test.

Mods can you please either close or delete this thread. next time I'll choose another forum to ask for opinions. One where the members are more helpful and not so drenched in cynicism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom