• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best looking PS4 game

SeeNoWeevil

Prominent Member
While up until recently I would've gone with the obvious choice and say infamous, the more I play it the more I think NFS deserves the honour. Infamous, while looking great at night, looks a little over saturated and a little brash/glitzy. NFS just looks incredibly smooth and neutral day or night. The night time and weather effects are superb.

An honourable mention has to go to Rayman and Resogun, beautiful games although not exactly pushing next-gen silicon.

AC4 was a pretty game but nothing mind blowing. Looked harsh in places, foliage especially.

What gets your vote?

tazmago

Distinguished Member
My vote would be Killzone SF, absolutely stunning looking game IMO. This was the first game I played on PS4 and it blew me away graphically (not so much gameplay wise though).

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
Nothing stood out for me at all if I'm honest. I knew PS4 wouldn't be a bigger jump from PS3 like PS3 was to PS2. I set my expectations low so wasn't disappointed. I think come this time next year, there might be something to shout about. Nothing on the PS4 is outstanding imo, just a tadd better (graphically).

Cod Ghosts looked better than PS3 version but not by much. Resogun looked ok but so did Blast Factor on PS3. I had Zen Pinball, Outlast, Don't Starve, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Trine 2, Dead Nation and SteamWorld Dig.

The only game that I thought to stand out a little was Trine 2 especially the frame rate.

I wasn't interested in Killzone or AC or Infamous - all mediocre for me at least so I guess I will never know how good looking they were.

FWIW, I got rid of my PS4 as the line up of games for this year isn't floating my boat. I'll probably pick another up when it's dropped in price, has better games for me and its functionality is improved (text chat, media player etc).

PS4 will be the first console I've sold just after launch.

Last edited:

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Trine 2 for me too.

hooray33

Established Member
Yeah Trine 2 is great. Looks better than the pc version, they clearly spent a lot of time on the port.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
NBA2K14 on PS4 is the first sport game I've ever played where it is almost as if I'm watching a broadcast of an actual game.

Some achievement.

meweavy

Distinguished Member
I've only played a handful of games so far,I thought assassins creed black flag was a nice looking game,very vibrant in places.
Infamous second son is a very nice looking game and trine looks nice but I've really not delved deeper into that game even though I've had it ages.
I do think the graphics look a bit better than last gen(apart from tlou on ps3,that was stunning).
But this gen it does feel like we are in gaming limbo and there really ain't many big games due this year.
But next year hopefully we will really see some stunning big hitters out like the witcher 3.

war thunder looks beautiful, some gorgeous plane models and huge mountainous landscapes.

benny

Prominent Member
Tomb raider easily, Resogun looks amazing to me and silky 60FPS.
Trials fusion is nice and crisp, 1080p60

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Ac4? Come on! The character models aren't great, especially hair and facial features. I've never got why people say it looks so good. The waves don't break on the beaches and all move in the same direction, water doesn't break around the ship, which should really have a bit of weed and more than a few barnacles on. It is just a last gen upscale, albeit reasonably nice in my opinion.

paul1979

Distinguished Member
oh man a lot of port mentioned hear! should a port look better than a game made for the console? Anyhow as i have not played many and in the interest of just being different i will say.... lego marvel ;-)

Nezben

Distinguished Member
oh man a lot of port mentioned hear! should a port look better than a game made for the console? Anyhow as i have not played many and in the interest of just being different i will say.... lego marvel ;-)

Which is cross platform! Worse than a port! ;)

paul1979

Distinguished Member
@ nezben I just don't think games like tomb raider, Rahman and trine etc that were built for ps3 xbox 360 etc should be looking better than games made to take full advantage of ps4 xb1 etc

jonmarkthree

Established Member
@ nezben I just don't think games like tomb raider, Rahman and trine etc that were built for ps3 xbox 360 etc should be looking better than games made to take full advantage of ps4 xb1 etc

You have to remember though that TR was really a next gen game before next gen was out. The difference between the PC version and PS3/360 is like night and day.

meweavy

Distinguished Member
You have to remember though that TR was really a next gen game before next gen was out. The difference between the PC version and PS3/360 is like night and day.

i thought it looked pretty damn cool on xbox 360/ps3,think i might pop over to the classifieds and pick up a ps4 version,i did enjoy it on the xbox 360.

jonmarkthree

Established Member
i thought it looked pretty damn cool on xbox 360/ps3,think i might pop over to the classifieds and pick up a ps4 version,i did enjoy it on the xbox 360.

Oh don't get me wrong it looks great on PS3 I meant the PS4 version is basically the PC version which on release was an extremely good looking game.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Another vote for TR, looks great , silky smooth ( almost ) and most important is a blast to play. Same goes for Resogun with an honourable mention to AC4 just because it's the best in the franchise for me. All great looking and great fun.

SeeNoWeevil

Prominent Member
Ok, I've changed my mind back to Infamous.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom