Best location for Quad Lite 5.1?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by tommyb1, Jan 21, 2008.

1. tommyb1

tommyb1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've just ordered some Quad Lite-s (5.1 system)

Do they sound better mounted on stands, shelves or walls.

Or, is it different for the fronts and the rears?

Also, do they sound better close to a wall or further away in their own space?

All advice and opinions welcome!:thumbsup:

2. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Stands are definitely the best option if you have the room as they provide a very solid platform, can be placed quite far into the room and moved around to experiment with distance from the walls and stands also generally place the speakers at ear height from a seated position.

However, a lot of people find they have their sofa pushed right up against the rear wall or don't have enough room/distance for stand-mounted speakers behind them as they will dominate the sound if placed too close to the ear. In this case you might want to wall mount them and place them higher up to get some distance.

As for positioning - experiment :) That's the great thing about stands: they're not fixed so you can move and demo as much as you like. Different room acoustics and listening preferences mean there's a different "perfect" for everyone.

3. DonH

DonH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,
    I bought Quad lite 5.1 package around two months ago. Not had time to set them up properly yet as I have been working away. WIll be teamed up with Onkyo 905 receiver.
    I will have a messy set-up to go thro because my TV has to go in the "closed angle" corner in an L shaped room. I have run the system with a Denon receiver (previous Onkyo 939 which lost one channel) and wife (who has no musical ear whatsoever) said liked the quad speakers far better than the bose cubes we had earlier (She didn't like the Denon either."How could any supposed musical company sell a receiver with such a disgustingly cheap remote". Her words!) Bit of usless info.
    One problem I did have was when I first tried fastening speakers to the wall via brackets they kept drooping towards the front because they are quite heavy.

WIll let you know how it all turns out early March.

DonH.:hiya: