Hi All!

After some help please:

What is your budget? up to £900

What size laptop do you want?
(In terms of screen size)

13 or 15"

Do you have resolution requirements?
No

Do you want a matte or glossy (reflective) screen?
Not sure
What will you be using the laptop for?
For example, Browsing, Word Processing, Video / photo Editing,

If you will be gaming, what games do you need to play?
n/a

How long does the battery need to last?
Very good up to 4 hours minimum

Does it need to be portable?
Yes -

Do you require Blu-Ray?
No
Do you require HDMI output?
No

Do you have a preferred brand?
Asus, Toshiba,

Are there brands you would prefer to avoid?

Would you be happy with a refurbished laptop?
No

Any other details you feel necessary - USB 3.0 - Dedicated graphics for video
/ photo editing

I thought of the following for a starters - Toshiba Satellite Pro R850-143 PT52KE-007010EN

However not as light as I want....

any others?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Any other details you feel necessary - USB 3.0 - Dedicated graphics for video
/ photo editing

Does your video/photo editing software actually use the GPU? Many don't.

Also, lightweight and fast as opposites, because faster components use more power (heavier batteries) and generate more heat (heavier cooling) so you have to decide on a compromise between them somewhere. What sort of minimum processor and maximum weight do you want? i3 2Ghz+ and sub-2kg?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
that Toshiba is a very nice laptop but it's not exactly 'light weight' at 2.39kg but is a managable-ish weight to carry around all day.

As EndlessWaves asks, what kind of photo and video editing software are we talking about here?

eastman3000

Novice Member
Thank so far guys. It's going be editing home videos do possibly adobe for this and then photoshop for photos which I really just need. Decent screen .

eastman3000

Novice Member
Seriously considering a z830 toshiba ultra book. Any thoughts?

extremelydodgy

I think the 'decent screen' requirement rules out the Z830, and it has the ULV version of the i3 and i5, which are basically slightly crippled to offer longer runtime.

I guess it depends on what use is most important really - £900 is still lurking in the budget end for a 'high spec' machine, especially for a lightweight. I'd put forward the Sony Z2 which would meet your needs for a good screen, decent horsepower and class-leading portability, but even the base model for that is about £600 over.

It might be worth waiting for the i7 versions of the Asus Zenbook to be available - they don't once again quite pack the punch of a 'full' i processor, but the i7 ULV would be closer to a 'full' i5.

Last edited:

eastman3000

Novice Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom