Best Lens for Macro on Nikon

thedude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
answers and opinions here please

what you gonna be shooting ? flowers - insects - both ?

Both probably. Mainly bugs

What's your budget? I have the Nikon 105mm f2.8 G AF-S VR IF ED Micro Nikkor Lens and would highly recommend it but it's not cheap!

No idea. What do these things cost?

cheers, right i think i have some saving to do. Kidney anyone??

Do check out the Sigmas, either the 105 or 150. I have the old 150 and it is a very good performer. I went for the 150 over the 105 because of the extra working distance which I find handy when shooting bees, butterflies etc. Tos see some examples look at my flickr page and search for Sigma 150/2.8 as I always tag my photos with the lens used.

....... or a Raynox 150 or 250 - add them to a 70-200 zoom and have some fun.

The best would probably be a Nikon 200mm f/4 or the Sigma 180mm f/2.8 APO or even a Nikon 70-180mm, but they are expensive. Look at the older Nikon 105mm f/2.8 D version, it can be had for about £250 quid or even the Tamron 90mm gets decent reviews.

Sigma 105mm or Tamron 90mm, job done.

yep - I fancy trying the sigma - but Tammie is great - but of course don't expcet fast AF when not using it for macro :)

Macro lenses seem to be universally good, bang for bucks wise the tamron 90mm or the sigma 105mm are excellent options. AF speed wise they're not all that bad provided you have one with a focus limiter (both the ones I mention do)

I have been using a Sigma 105mmF2.8D which is the old version and can get decent results with it, but a ring flash is needed to get uber results, so keep that in mind (I am yet to buy one, but have been blessed with a heat-wave)

DSC_2849

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom