Best LCD yet!

AML

Prominent Member
Reaction score
http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/050920_3.html

Trully amazing. 37", 6ms response, 1200:1 contrast ratio,
full spec HD (1920X1080), HDMI and component.

What more could you want!?

The only thing Sharp need to do now is release a 1080p panel. And more HDMI ports!

Only 546,000 yen (£2,661.95)

Wonder what price by the time it gets here ?

I dunno u kno.... Samsung are getting pretty hot, and at realistic prices ;)

You can actually get it for a lot less already.

546.000 is the catalog price. Actual prices are more like 367.000 yen. Thats only 1800 quid

Just wanted to add that Victor (JVC) just released a stonker too!!

Take a look at the attached PDF to see the full specs.

Heres a run down. 40" LCD, It has 2 hdmi, 2 component, 1920X1080 and even a VGA input for PC. (dont know how high that goes though.)
Also dont know its response time. I assume its about 8ms.

Attachments

• lt-37lc70.pdf
    269 KB · Views: 361
link dont seem to work

Why do these sets offer a resolution of 1080X1920 but not support 1080p?? This is very confusing as this would be the main reason for buying a set with this resolution. Granted if your primary use was as a PC monitor then the higher resolution is all good but if all your playing is 720p and 1080i sources then I cant see the real worls benefits of going to such a high res. If they supported 1080p I would say go buy one but why pay the extra when it doesnt even support 1080p??

Most LCDs dont offer 1080p but they do scale it I think. But since theres hardly any material out there at 1080p I really wouldnt worry about it.

PioRow said:
Why do these sets offer a resolution of 1080X1920 but not support 1080p?? This is very confusing as this would be the main reason for buying a set with this resolution. Granted if your primary use was as a PC monitor then the higher resolution is all good but if all your playing is 720p and 1080i sources then I cant see the real worls benefits of going to such a high res. If they supported 1080p I would say go buy one but why pay the extra when it doesnt even support 1080p??

Well manufacturers have got to have something up their sleeve for the next season since at the mo there is no great demand (or at least market) for native 1920*1080 let alone those capable of accepting 1080p via HDMI (bluray/hd-dvd).

The market for 1280*720 or 1366*768 is booming and guess what, significant numbers of those consumers will want to upgrade in a year or two and then you will have the market for the ulitmate 1080p display.

Personally I will not be replacing my current LCD until such time as there are affordable 1920*1880p panels that accept 1080p from I suspect Blu-ray, until then I'm happy with what I have got and have no desire to spend money on the stop gap which are the current 1920*1080 panels which only accept 1080i.

Raze said:
OK take a look at the Sammys here: http://product.samsung.com/lcd_microsite/main.html
8ms and stunning looks combined with great performance and afforable prices? :)

If I was buying a LCD based on the website content then they would be getting my money:)
These are US models though which explains the lack of the HD Ready logo, had me worried for a bit.

JVC 40" due next spring - would imagine the same is true of the Sharp. Since Sky+ HD launches Feb/Mar, see the correlation?
Similarly Benq's 37 and 46 1080 TVs are out then also.

As for 1080 - they will take a 1080i signal and make it 1080p internally. The better ones will deinterlace at 1080, the lesser ones will drop to 540 and rescale back to 1080 - which to my mind, is a nonsense and makes a mockery of the extra resolution the higher - but hey ho - that's manufacturers for you.
There's no intrinsic benefit to outputting a progressive signal from a DVD player/recorder when the panel has the hardware in-built to do the same thing the DVD player is.

Samsung's UK site is attrocious, then to is JVC's and Panasonic's, not to mention Sony's.
Sharp's is probably the best.
No interest in Philip's nor Toshiba's, so I don't know how they compare.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom