1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best LCD TV/Monitor for under £1000

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dj_ooms, Nov 28, 2004.

1. dj_ooms

dj_ooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I am interested in getting a widescreen LCD TV/Monitor. I want to get the biggest possible screen with the best quality image. I particularly need connectivity to a PC preferably through a DVI connection and RGB Scart/Component connection to an XBOX. I will not really be watching much TV on it but will definitely be watching DVDs through the XBOX and PC. I want the best quality image with a good size. I low response time would be ideal for games. I have seen the Hitachi 28LD5200E LCD TV for £985 inc. del. I would like to know peoples view on this TV and whether there are any better ones out there for under £1000. I want as high a resolution as possible and HDTV support would be a bonus. Thanks.

2. Cirus

Cirus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was gonna buy 1 of those but was out of stock for few weeks maybe till after xmas :/

So i read up on Lcd tv's. I wanted 1 for same reasons as you, basically for PC and Xbox. I was looking for a Lcd which has component so I can use 480p/720p/1080i mode on xbox. I unlocked my Xbox to enable Progressive Scan ( PAL doesnt support it for some reason ).

I ordered a 26" Sharp LC26GA4E its abour £900 inc Vat/del just waiting for it :$

If you got a Pal Xbox and wanting to unlock it goto:

http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=28489&page=1&pp=30

:offtopic:

3. dj_ooms

dj_ooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the reply.

I finally bit the bullet and decided to buy the same Sharp LCD TV as you due to it having component input. I ordered mine last night for around £900 also but it seems that the place i've ordered from are out of stock. They say that I will have to wait 1-2 weeks for stock to come in. My main deciding factor for purchasing this over the Hitachi was the low response time of the Sharp - 16ms compared to around 25ms for the Hitachi. I have read a few posts about the Sharp GA3E and GA4E series being discontinued. This is worrying me but hopefully I will receive one soon.

As for the XBOX, it has already been modded. I just need to buy a component cable for it. I read that it is better to use an NTSC component cable due to the PAL one supposedly having things disabled. Do you know where I could get one of these cables?

4. PookySam

PookySam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You've probably already got this question answered by now, but incase you haven't...

There is no official PAL XBox component cable :( You can however import an NTSC one from someone like lik-sang (highly recommended) you need the High Definition AV Pack :

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=83&products_id=1742&