1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best lcd tv for the xbox 360?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by funky phil, Oct 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. funky phil

funky phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys!
    new in here and need help about which tv to buy for the xbox 360 when its released? read loads of threads in here about the SAMSUNG LE26R41BDX/XEU 26in and the equivalent 32in sets. but now i`m looking at the TOSHIBA 27WL56 27in and TOSHIBA 32WL56 32in. the tv i want must have hdmi connection (best for the 360 so ive heard!)there`s so many tv`s around now and i`m not really upto speed on the best to get! ive read the issue`s with tearing on the samsung sets but samsung seem to be sorting it.
    any advice would be great as i`m hoping to get the tv within the next few weeks! my budget can stretch to about £900!
    thanks again
    phil

2. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is no best tv for Xbox 360 only Lcds that are capable of outputting the picture at 720p which the Xbox 360 will output at so you are looking for an Lcd that has a maximum resolution of say 1280*720. If the second number is below 720 then its not ideal for Xbox 360. Also is there any point in asking how good an Lcd is with xbox 360 when the machine isn't out for another month and a bit? Just some friendly advice ;) Oh and welcome to the forum :hiya:

P.S. have a look at the Hitachi 7200 as it seems to be held in high regard by many although pay attention to a potential problem with the LCD buzzing so check that out for yourself if see it in the flesh.

3. steveyg20

steveyg20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without wanting to sound uphelpful, no-one is going to be able to give you a credible answer to your question, since the 360 isn't yet released. The 360 does not have an HDMI output, the HD feed will be achieved by analogue component output.

4. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    News to me, i thought it had an hdmi connection! Is it acheiveing 720 via component then? If the american Xbox 360 has an hdmi connection i will be very angry.

5. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    If it's just for the 360 then the Samsung should do a good job, afterall it is the model that Microsoft are using to show the 360 off.

I'm after an lcd for the 360 plus my pc (vga) and have narrowed my choice down to the Samsung LE26R41B, the Sharp 26GA6E or the Toshiba 27WLT58 (if it comes out!). Ruled out the Tosh WL56 models as they don't have a proper component input which is what my 360 will need.

And yeah, the only HD outputs for the 360 (at the moment) are VGA and component. I'm sure an hdmi lead will appear though.

6. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They're planning on offering HDMI support further down the line as it becomes more mainstream but that probably won't be until sometime later next year.

7. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    The XBox 360 will display HD signals but through a component lead. They said that they will probably release a HDMI lead for it in the future

8. funky phil

funky phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i realise that the 360 isnt out in the uk untill 2nd december and that the hdmi cable wont be around for it for a while! the tv will also be used to watch normal tv programming as well (well if you can call ntl digital normal!) seen the samsung tv`s in action and they do look a good tv!

9. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It sounds like the Samsung 26" screens are what you're after. They're well priced, have all the right features you need and Microsoft endorses them so I don't think you can go far wrong really.

10. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You can get the Samsung 32" LE32R41BD for under £900 online!!!!

11. funky phil

funky phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know there are bargains online but i always like to have the safety net of some sort of extended warranty! i would`nt be happy after a £700+ purchase broke after 18 months! so far it looks like john lewis`s do the best warranty on tv`s 5 free years cover is a great deal. :thumbsup:

12. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Get JL to pricematch somewhere cheaper. They wont do online only stores, but they should pricematch Crampton&Moore which sell the 32" LE32R41B for £800inc.
    That way you get it cheaper with a good 5 year warranty. As long as the company have a high street shop, and its instock there should be no problems, so shop around!

13. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    the 360 has no digital picture output so HDMI will just be a conversion. You will recieve no benefits unless you have your component or VGA sockets tied up with other equipment, in which case you can enjoy switching without hassle.

As far as Your budget goes check out www.novatech.co.uk they sell LCD tvs which offer amazing value for money.

There are massive 32inch 8ms HDTV lcds for under £1k

14. iBoris

iBoris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check this link out before buying an extended warranty:

Sale of Goods Act

Technically, no one needs to buy an extended warranty.

15. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    yeah...the 27wl56 not having 'proper' component input is a real pain....thats why i've had to pre order the M$ vga lead for the 360. aswell as the console.

16. funky phil

funky phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice find but imagine the hassle of trying to get anyone at comet/dixons/currys etc etc actually taking you serious if you went back 4 years after you bought the tv with a fault showing them that document! u`d be laughed at!

17. UKBOY

UKBOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    As laughable as some may find it, theres absolutely no reason why you shouldnt enquire ..........

Some retailers do value their customers and provided the item is in reasonable condition and it can be seen that it has been treated appropriately, you as a consumer have every right to expect that the product would not fail within a reasonable time frame.

Touch wood, I havent had a piece of consumer electronics fail on me for many a year and consequently I never pay extra for warranties and yes, if an item did fail in what I consider an inappropriate length of time from purchase, I would enquire as to goodwill from both the retailer and the manufacturer before deciding whether I felt I needed to take the issue further.

UKBoy.

18. iBoris

iBoris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, they would laugh until the point you mention Small Claims Court and the Sale of Goods Act, the fact that a company flagrantly tried to disregard such an act would bring them so much bad press they wouldn't even bother trying to talk you out the store.

Generally, take the managers name, the assistants name and talk straight to their head office.

Now obviously, that sort of hassle is not worth it for a kettle - but what about a £2000 Plasma that needs a £400 screen replacing because it just went one day?

19. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    are you sure you are reading that right? The Q&A at the bottom of the page makes it sound like the 6 years is the time limit within which you must raise a complaint, not the time limit for goods to be 'fit for purpose'.

It separately states that the period of time for items to be usable is not defined and will be determined by the court at the time of any proceedings.

20. iBoris

iBoris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And what court would not rule that a TV should last 6 years?

Especially as most Plasma / LCD TV's proudly display their backlight use in the thousands of hours. 'LCD manufacturers claim 55000 to 80000 hours for LCD monitors/TVs'. Even watching TV for 8 hours a day for a year would only rack up app 3000 hours of backlight usage, over 6 years would only be 18,000.

So if the backlight is meant to last that long, could a dealer really argue that a TV should NOT last 6 years?

The fact is, if they are a good dealer then they will do the repair, or refund repair costs without it going to court.

The whole thing with warranties etc is a con and people know it, if it wasn't a money making exercise for Sales Staff it would not be pushed as much as it is. Modern, electrical goods should last 10 years with little or no faults.

As I say, if it's a small cheap repair then not a problem, but for something that costs a lot of money why should you not claim your statutory rights?

21. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    electronics is such a grey area the rules could possibly be bent in many cases.

The law is based on what is reasonable, this protects both consumer and vendor from abusing each other. Dont assume it will always go your way, because generally its very hard to prove things.

Companies are also all guilty of poor conduct regarding faulty goods in this field.
    All lengths are taken to pass the buck and deny refunds and replacements at all costs.
    A few years back if a product was faulty, the vendor was responsible for the whole repair or replacement of the item. Nowadays customers are given phone numbers of the manufacturers to contact. This according to law is wrong.

Your contract is with the vendor, but it is somehow common practice with most companies to use this method. I feel that if you buy a product and it is faulty when you buy it you should be entitled not just the option of repair, but full replacement.

I cannot accept even as a salesperson that items costing thousands of pounds should be sent back on week 1 for major repairs simply to avoid taking any possible losses.
    I had a customer who came to me about a brand new DVD player she bought (from another branch) as a gift for her elderly parents and the other store had sent it off to be repaired (3-4 week process) because it was faulty upon sale.

For some reason the customer service existing today thought that since she bought it she could be stuffed with it until some 3rd party engineer finally got round to fixing it.

I told her it was her right for a replacement, and explained she needed to refer back to the branch she bought it from and demand a new model. Its a shame people dont know their rights.

22. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Off topic slightly, my parnter's DVD recorder developed an audio fault in the last couple of weeks.
    Spoke to CS of company whose design it is, and explained I would prefer local repair rather than risk loss or damage in transit, not to mention cost of send back to online reseller.
    The long and the short of it is, after 11 months of perfectly working, the CS gave me another number to call, and they in turn have arranged a refurb swap over. On top of that, it'll have a 3 month warranty. Obviously, if after another 11 months (or less/more) it too goes faulty, I will not be resigning myself to shrugging my shoulders and saying "oh well!"

The point of this, is that as much as I appreciate who the contract is with, more often than not, dealing with the manufacturer/distributor directly is a better way of getting things resolved.