Best LCD TV for PC usage?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by rout3r, Oct 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. rout3r

rout3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I have been looking at the Panasonic Viera TX-26LXD1 & TX-32LXD1 LCD TVs - could anyone recommend these LCD TVs, or others in a similar price range which are suitable to connect to a PC and use for both games and general 2D work.

Thanks

2. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi rout3r,

I don't know the extent of you knowledge etc but prior to joining this excellent forum, mine was very limited. There is an array of things you should be aware of such as timings, native resolutions, DVI, component, scart sockets etc,etc, amongst the few. My first thoughts are you need an LCD with a DVI to enable a crisp image when connected to a PC. Then you need to consider resolutions. You need to bear in mind that LCD TV's are just that, TV's. However, despite manufacturers placing a nice DVI connection on the back to connect with your PC, some do not support a full screen resolution, often referred to as the 'native resolution'. You are probably aware that on your property menu for your graphics card, there are various resolutions shown (ie 1360 X 768 amongst a few). If you monitor is unable to match, this results in a black band around the image. It can in some instances be overcome by stretching the image using a utility like powerstrip, but this is at the expense of PQ. Okay, not the end of the world but you shouldn't expect it to be there. Generally if the native resolution of an LCD matches that to the property settings (ie 1280 X 768) & the LCD is capable of displaying the same, you will get a full screen image.

The other option is to consider a large LCD computer monitor. Take a look at this thread from Jackylad;

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157950

If you haven't already done so, buy a couple of Plasma & LCD magazines to give you more info. Also search the forums for info on all these issues. Another good tip is to download manuals from the maunfacturer to get the full specifications.

I've just ordered a Samsung LW32A23WX/XEU which arrives tomorrow. This is perfect fo gaming & has an array of connections at the back which includes two components inputs for an Xbox & PS2. You are really spoilt for choice. Unfortuneately, they have just been discontinued & are like gold dust. If the search the forum using LW32A23W there are numerous posts about this model which is a good buy at £1500. If you are interested try a Google web search using LW32A23W, you may be lucky.

3. paulgardam

paulgardam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't think the panasonics have a pc input do they?

4. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the TX-32LXD1 LCD doesn't anyway as I've just looked in the Plasma & LCD mag. rout3r, I think if you're on a budget a Samsung or LG might be worth considering especially if it's for PC use. I don't know how the Sony KDL-L32MRX1 performs connected to a PC, but is regarded at the moment as the king of 32" LCD's, but then it should be for the price!!! However, for some reason it doesn't come with a DVI only a D-Sub...Pretty bad when you could be spending anywhere over £2500. You're probably in the same boat I was in being bombarded with all this jargon. Keep researching & it will begin to make sense!!

5. rout3r

rout3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I saw the TX-32LXD1 in a shop recently, and was very impressed by the picture quality. I think that I am leaning towards buying the TX-26LXD1 however - at around £1300 it seems like a bargain.

The max res is 1280x768 - so I don't think I'll have any problems there. Screen response is 16msec - so this should be ok for games.

I've only just started looking, but this LCD TV has impressed me so far. Are there any other models which I should look at?

Thanks

6. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    rout3,
    Im pretty sure you won't be able to connect a PC that LCD as it doesn't have a PC input. My LCD arrived today & have posted the above thread. I highly recommend it. I paid £1500 including delivery. I don't know if you plan to use for gaming or not but this is an excellent choice as it has so many connections. In any event it's an awesome PC monitor.

7. rout3r

rout3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct - no pc input, but it does has DVI, which I was planning on using.

8. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it does have a DVI then you should be able to connect to a PC. Check the specifications or better still ring the manufucturer. :thumbsup:

Good Luck

9. rout3r

rout3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks LiquidTV :)

10. reddom

reddom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am also looking for 26-32" lcd for use with an htpc, I'm fairly certain that the Viera lcd models do not have a dvi or pc input and so i rejected them from my list, you should probably double check before shelling out.

RD

11. rout3r

rout3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    rout3r,
    Sorry mate, unless I'm going blind have checked the specs using the link & can't see any mention of a DVI input or any PC input come to that.

13. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    The new Viewsonic 30" got 4.5 out of 5 from HCC in December issue

14. rout3r

rout3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: