1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best LCD projector? ... under £4000?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RoyBad, Mar 28, 2003.

1. RoyBad

RoyBad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    I was wondering what the general forum community would consider the "best" projector under £4000? ..
    Looking at specs, my personal fav is the Epson TW100, but I'm sure other people have different views..

The application would be home cinema through a PC.

Thx :smashin:

Roy

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I had 4K for a PJ, it'll be a CRT FP.

for example,- "Barco Data 808s: 797 hours. Excellent condition, V7.41 software (Small text menu's & memory banks enabled). Horizontal frequency to 75 kHz and 75 MHz RGB bandwidth. Component video inputs for progressive scan DVD players. 8" electromagnetic focus tubes and all digital chassis. Includes backlit remote and manuals £3895.00 including VAT and standard delivery. 12 month warranty. "

I prefer CRT PQ over LCD anyday. You will never get a true black with LCD, more like a mushy grey.

Of course LCD setting up is easier.

3. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aw, c'mon. That's not answering the guy's question! He posts a genuine question about best LCD PJ under the "non-CRT" PJ threads and gets a CRT response!

My vote (as a newbie) is HS10. Bought one recently and it is absolutely awesome.

I have to say - though - that you're inviting argument with a question like this. One glance at the past threads on this forum should show that you're going to get either no responses or totally contradictory ones.

MrSafety

4. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    It might be easier to start at www.projectorcentral.com and browser their reviews.

Then look around for prices in the UK and come back with a few alternatives and see what the guys here think. Everyone is going to stick up for their own model of projector cos they spent a lot of money on it.

Also, modern home cinema projectors are, on the whole, very good, so it's understandable that everyone will recommend their own unit.

Personally, I love my £1300 Sanyo Z1, but that doesn't answer your question either :)

5. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would think that the Epson TW100 should fit the bill, that's what I would go for if my budget would stretch to it.

6. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How about a Sony 12HT? Fantastic picture! :smashin:

LCD is the only option for folk who suffer from DLP (and CRT) rainbows/headaches and IMHO the 12HT is the best you can get at the moment.

I know there's always debate whether the price difference over the HS10 is worth it, but if you're thinking <£4000 then why go for a £2000 projector?

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Agree 100%. I'm one of them. Beautiful 2 x BARCO's demo'd on the Denon stand at Manchester last year. Lovely deep blacks - plus headache and rainbows. I know what my next PJ (to replace a VW10) will be - and on the basis of current showings, even of the (supposedly) best set-up, best calibrated state of the art gear - it will be another LCD.

Almost certainly true. That is where I'd suggest you start looking.

8. RoyBad

RoyBad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow!
    Thanks for all the comments... I was gonna get a CRT, but I'd rather not get a hernia right now or stub my toes on a "coffee table"... I don't even like coffee :laugh:

The Sony HS10 & VW12 look good, but to be honest, I have had a AE100 and AE300 and demo'ed a HS10... I didn't think it really was THAT much better than the AE300..

the reason for the LCD question is I also tried a MT8 from nexnix.. those guys are great :smashin: , but DLPs bite in so much as I couldn't watch a movie without a stinking headache.. so much for persistence of vision..

I've read the arguments ever since I got the AE100.. and it's always refreshing to know that people are happy with their projectors.... I'm about set for the Epson this review kinda clinched it (http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_tw100.htm) .
    .. maybe Santa will bring me a CRT for xmas one year..
    I was wondering if there were any "better" LCDs out there...

Thx very much
    Roy