1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best LCD Picture when watching normal TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MikeGr, Sep 8, 2004.

1. MikeGr

MikeGr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to the staff in Selfridges regarding the latest 32" LCD TVs. They seem to be pushing the Panasonic Viera LCD screen and claimed that all the magazines were recommending them. Actually the reviews I'd seen had said that the picture was good but it wasn't high definition compatible and lacked DVI or HDMI inputs.

I'd gone in hoping to see the new Sharp Aquos Titanium range or the Philips 32PF9986, of which they had neither. The new Sharps haven't received a good response in the press or by some people on these forums, so I'm strongly considering buying the Philips.

The salesman's point of view was that the Viera and Sonys (KLV-L32MRX1 and KLV-L32M1) had the best pictures. He hadn't seen the new Aquos panels, but said that they did have the 32PF9986 before it was recalled. He said that the Philips was good when using the demonstration DVD, but was very poor when displaying normal TV pictures.

How do owners of the 32PF9986 find it copes with analogue TV pictures and Sky broadcasts? Is it likely that Selfridges didn't set the TV up properly, which is why the pictures looked bad or perhaps that the cable or signal they used was poor?

How does the screen cope with fast moving sports like football (how does it cope with big camera movements with people running etc.) or tennis (clearly display the small ball moving fast)? I did see the Viera displaying cricket and I was impressed with how well it displayed the detail and coped with the camera pans without any artifacts.

Overall, when viewing regular TV, how do people find the Philips' picture compares to the Sony or Panasonic?

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    don't have the new one, but the previous model - 30pf9975, and rate it very highly.

The analogue pictures are surprisingly watchable - and I have very bad analogue reception. On a goodish channel for me, like BBC1, the resolution enhancing stuff really does wonders.

Don't know what JL are saying, other than the usual "don't buy this TV because we don't sell it, buy one we do instead"

I'd say go for it. The Sharps have fallen a bit flat this gen, and the panasonic too I think

Both have also started to use lower res panels, when for me the high res panels are one of LCDs real strengths.

3. Up The Spurs!

Up The Spurs!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picture quality is fantastic on normal TV...Don't understand the sales staff at Selfridges!! - When I went to check out a Demo it was the only LCD running on a normal TV input all the others were running DVD Demos....I am REALLY happy with the purchase

4. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hrm... Ive only heard good things about the latest sharps... if anything they are the brand of choice in LCD from all the hoohaa Ive been hearing :(.

5. Up The Spurs!

Up The Spurs!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen reviews for the Sharp but the Philips is getting good reviews from what I've seen...And I wouldn't swap mine for a Sharp

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Also consider the Loewe Xelos SL. About the same sort of money as the Sharp and Philips but you are unlikely to find it heavily discounted - Harrods are however giving away a free Loewe DVD recorder (worth £450) with the 32" and 37" varieties. The Xelos can also be upgraded with an integrated HD recorder and D-TV/D-Sat.

Ordered mine 2 days ago :thumbsup: having never viewed a decent demo of the Philips and preferring it over the Sharp (GD1E) which was slightly washed out in colour. But then, with so many sifferent variables to play with on these sets, until you see a properly setup and calibrated screen, you really can't tell. I did recent extensive recent demos of the Xelos and Sharp and apart from the Sharp remote not being sensitive enough, neither put a foot wrong with DVD over DVI. The Sharp was a bit blocky with DTV when viewed close, but im not going to sit on top of the TV so it wouldn't really matter.

7. MikeGr

MikeGr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They've actually got a 32PF9986 on display in Selfridges. They have it above an older and smaller Philips LCD screen and showing the same DVD. The picture looked quite pixelated on the 32PF9986 compared to the older screen.

I'm fairly sure that the magazines said that they used Movie Plus mode for watching DVDs. Do you think that that would give a better picture?

I asked the guy who worked there what picture mode was being used. He said that he had no idea. All he could tell me was that the guy had set it up to give the best possible picture. He also repeated that he told me that the picture was worse than the Sony or Panasonic. One thing I do know is that I wouldn't buy my TV from him!

I was going to ask him what input they were using, since the DVD was feeding 2 machines, so one of the signals was bound to be of an inferior quality. Given his depth of knowledge of the set and how it had been set-up, it clearly wasn't worth me wasting my time. I did try and look at the connections and I think that they used the DVI EXT3 connection (not recommended for RGB), and it's possible that the signal was RGB. That's one theory.

I understand that the screen needs to be set-up properly to get the best results. Have owners seen this very pixelated image and found a way to get the picture better?

8. Up The Spurs!

Up The Spurs!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its got to be because its running on a inferior input!! - Our picture is great - running ext2. I'll run 2 feeds from the dvd player and connect the second to the ext3 connection and see how it effects the picture for you!

The screen hardly needed any adjusting? it is just adjusting to suit your own preference!
    Top menu system as well :eek:)

9. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the 9986 a few times in my local Currys. It's been disappointing on some occasions, fine on others. I believe people on these boards when they say it's a good picture because no one would be happy with the pixelisation I saw. What is it like with Sky+. Anyone know?

10. Up The Spurs!

Up The Spurs!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry no sky+ :eek:(

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    all the reviews I've seen say that the 9986 is an improvement on the 9975, and my 9975 is great. So if you've seen and were impressed by a 9975, you should be even happier with the 9986. Probably a different connection.

I've seen only middling reviews for the new sharps. True, the previous generation had rave reviews, and it was a close call for me between Sharp and Philips.

12. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hey IanH,

How are you finding your loewe?? Love to hear your comments of it over a wide range of sources and film material.