Best LCD for watching football

The Captain

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the best LCD 32/37 for watching sports....ie. no bliurring/ghosting etc.....is there not a perfect tv? I thought it would be the Phillips Aptura coming in Q3/Q4 this year...now someone says it will be rubbish! What about the Panny 500? or the new Panny 600?

Please help...I dont want to have a regret after buying a tv!

The Captain said:
What is the best LCD 32/37 for watching sports....ie. no bliurring/ghosting etc.....is there not a perfect tv? I thought it would be the Phillips Aptura coming in Q3/Q4 this year...now someone says it will be rubbish! What about the Panny 500? or the new Panny 600?

Please help...I dont want to have a regret after buying a tv!

The best TV for watching Standard def football in my opinion is the Sharp P50e. I have one and see no blurring/fuzz/ghosting etc when watching on Sky. I assume that once HD is with us then most LCD will produce a decent picture when it comes to football due to the lack of scaling and the very high bit rates Sky HD wil broadcast at.

Of course not all football will be in HD. ITV have yet to announce any HD plans and the BBC will be testing HD within the next year but have not confirmed exactly what they will be testing.

Also you will need to consider the high price of HD. £300-£500 plus between £10 and £15 on to of the premuim pack for the priv.

By the way the P50e is not HD ready and thats why its so good with SD material. In all honesty best thing to do is try and visit a store which will allow you see a number of well set up sets via Sky. On here you will get a vary of opinions. Ive heard people say that football is great on a set and then another person say that the same set is very poor. Its all down to personal opinion.

I 2nd the opinion of blakey1. I have P50E and it's very good for standard def viewing and sports.
Bought it after much research on the forum and it continually came out with the top vote for the sort of viewing you'll be doing. Try a search you'll see what I mean.

I thought that the p50e wasn't HD ready,but I have seen some places advertising them as HD ready,does anyone know why this is?

number4 said:
I thought that the p50e wasn't HD ready,but I have seen some places advertising them as HD ready,does anyone know why this is?

It is HD compatible. The only difference to it and a HD ready set is that it will downscale the picture to 540p rather than 720p . Research Ive done and from what Ive seen its unlikely many would tell the difference from the average viewing distance.

Thank's for that,Blakey,I'll be getting the 37 p50e in a few weeks time...can't wait :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom