1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best LCD for Sky (and HTPC in future)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ben_gb, Feb 28, 2005.

1. ben_gb

ben_gb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm trying to decide on what is the best 32" or 37" LCD for viewing Sky (and some Freeview). In the future I am also thinking of hooking it up to an HTPC, so I guess that I'll need a VGA or DVI socket.

So far, I've looked at the Sony KLV-L32M1 (which looks good, but doesn't have the PC ports) and the Sharp 32 and 37" screens, however reviews say that these don't perform well with poorer sources (i.e. non-DVD?). Also is the Sharp Titanium range signficantly better that the Sharp versions - it's quite a bit more expensive.

Thanks for any comments!

Regards,
    Ben

2. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would be very interested in hearing the answer to this as well. I am trying to decide on a 37" screen but can't make up my mind. I was in a local shop at the weekend and saw the sharp connected to sky along with a good few other screens. It looks like they were all connected to the 1 feed but the sharp looked terrible, poor picture quality, edgy, fuzzy ....
    Some of the other screens didn't seem as bad but this could be the setup as easily as screen quality!

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm very happy with my 32GA3. There isn't any PP2 or Wega to clear the picture up so on poor Freeview channels, the picture is a bit ropey.

DVD's played through my 4 year old Marantz via RGB Scart look good. I've watched the Starwars Trilogy and Matrix Trilogy and can't fault it. Can't wait to get a DVD player that upscales connected to it.

Don't forget that screens in a shop might not be set up properly. When I saw the Sharp for the first time I thought it wasn't particularly good but playing around (Sharpness especially) I got a decent picture.

HTH,

RIchie.