best LCD for SD input

19" or 106" or somewhere in between?
Budget?

I have the Samsung LE37R87BD 37" LCD and it is very good for SD IMHO, it is also a very good price. It is not full HD though which may be an issue for some, but for me I am not bothered with a 37" TV and it's very good SD picture more than makes up for it, as it is what I spend most of the time watching and it will probably be the same for a good few years to come. It is also very good with HD content.

More than likely most 1368 x 768 HD ready sets..... Not Full HD...
Although my Z series Full HD 37" displays a mean SD signal over SKY.

More than likely most 1368 x 768 HD ready sets..... Not Full HD...
Although my Z series Full HD 37" displays a mean SD signal over SKY.

I have just ordered a Tosh 37Z3030. I have no possibilities to see these new models working. I had to take the risk. I assumed that the 100 Hz would contribute to a better SD image.

Do you say that 768 LCD's produce better SD picture then HD?

Can't you just (as with a computer monitor) change the resolution?

Can't you just (as with a computer monitor) change the resolution?

Nope, LCDs are fixed-pixel technology. They have only one resolution, usually 1366x768 or 1920x1080, and have to scale the picture to fit on lower resolutions. The scaling on TVs is usually very bad when dealing with low resolutions (compared to those being displayed natively) as the processors used are much cheaper than ones in dedicated scalers and the PS3's CELL (which can scale stuff rather nicely).

CRT monitors have no native resolution. There is a fixed array of phosphors which act like pixels and a set dot pitch. However the electron beam which scans the picture ultimately determines what the resolution is, and that isn't fixed, so can scan at different sizes regardless of those phosphors. Some pixels can overlap each other or have one pixel for say, 2 and a half phosphors.

This allows the display to handle different resolutions without scaling digitally, thus having no artifacts or blurring.

When LCDs launch lunch next year designed with gaming in mind, and with the CELL used for scaling, lag and poor SD will be less frequent than it is now. Until then it's just a compromise you have to make, not that you have a choice as all TVs being made at fixed-pixel.

Do you say that 768 LCD's produce better SD picture then HD?

By HD I assume that you mean 1920x1080 'Full HD' sets rather than barely HD (aka HD Ready) sets. Despite various claims on this group, there is no evidence that barely HD sets display SD better than full HD examples. In practice, the higher the resolution, the better the remapping that the scaler circuits can achieve, as there is more chance of there being a pixel available in the correct position. This assumes that the scalers are of equivalent quality. Of course you will pay slightly more for the 1080 set, but this difference will all but disappear on sets of 37inch and above soon.
The important thing in comparing any sets' SD performance is to view from the correct distance for SD which is dependent on the screen size.

runas

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom