1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best LCD for PC and Consoles ????

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jerkyboy, Aug 12, 2004.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am after an LCD purely for use with my PC, Xbox and PS2. I dont want to spend more than £1500.

I need, PC input, Component inputs and maybe a couple of scarts.

Any recomendations ?.

I have my eye on a Thomson, Sharp, Samsung or JVC.

Help me decide please !!!!

2. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I'm looking for a similar screen myself. Have a look at the Toshiba 26WL46 LCD screen which is around £1300. I was thinking of getting this one but I'm a bit wary as to how the PQ compares to a similarly sized CRT. Anybody got any thoughts on this matter?

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I bought the 26" Toshiba just the other day. I have a pal GC hooked up via official rgb scart and the pictures are fantastic. Noticed the benefits especially when playing WE6-FE, (jap version of pro-evo). Can't think of anything negative to say about the Toshiba when used with a console, (does expose week digital tv pictures more than equivelent crt). Far better for games than my parents £1700 32" Sony crt set. + you get 2 component inputs, 3 scart, (2 RGB), and pc input. + phono outputs to redirect a consoles sound to an amp if you so wish. All for £1,275 inc del from www.unbeatable.co.uk.

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I believe that crt sets will still give the best picture quality. However, not many are prog scan compatible or have component inputs in the 1st place. Few have the capacity for hi-def signals, (toshiba is 720P compatible). XBox could therefore be set up for 720p for the games that cater for it. USA cube has prog scan enabled on some games Metroid Prime being one example. Though only 480p. I think. Personally I didn't have the space for a bulky 28" crt set as it was for a bedroom. Also I'll be able to receive Sky's hi-def service come 2006 whereas crt sets don't have the resolution. Though I may be wrong on that one!?

Though if you're in no rush to get a new tv, it might be worth waiting for the next generation of lcd's such as Toshiba's WL48 which will feature HDMI input(s).

5. Damo121

Damo121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Rob20

I am really tempted to get this LCD, but a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1.What returns options do you get if you are not happy with the LCD
    2.How do you get progressive scan, what leads do you need.
    3.Is the companies customer service any good.

Cheers Mate.

Damo :)

6. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,
    I bought the 32" Toshiba 32WL46 the other day and it's a cracking set ( :thumbsup: ). I got it from Unbeatable who delivered it in two days, no dead pixels etc and I got it for £1500, a bargain.....

It's great with DVD, P2 and PC, but as Rob says, not too forgiving of a low quality Sky channel.

(By the way, anyone know if I can get the floor stand for it anywhere? It came with a pedestal stand, but I've seen it on some websites with a floor stand, but the Toshiba site makes no mention of it?)

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    1) no idea to be honest. Went on company's reputation. Had no problems though. Ordered on the Thurs, had a phone call Fri to arrange convenient del date. 1st available was Mon, so I booked a day off and it arrived around midday. As was the case for Flashman, I haven't found any dead pixels at all.

2) As far as I can tell the unit detects a prog scan signal via the component inputs. When I change the prog scan output on my dvd player from on to off the tv seems to reset itself. Obviously you can only get prog scan through the component inputs, (don't know how pc input works though. is pc signal a prog scan signal?).

3) Easy to order, and promt del. Took 3 business days from order to del. I suppose you only find out how good a companies cust. service is when something goes wrong. So Can't really say.

8. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also bought a Tosh 26WL36 a while back now (about 6 months) and haven't looked back since - it was about £1300 from Techtronics.

Great picture quality if given a good quality input - very good on analogue signals, but as many people above have said, give it a crap freeview channel in my case and you see slight artifacts around text etc.

Saw amazing pq on a friends CRT - 32" Tosh with integrated freeview and 5.1 (sorry I can't remember the model, but comes with a stand that is square and folds up and out to reveal storage :confused: ) - thought that was the bees knees till I ran my PS2 through component and the games just come alive (a bit too well in some cases and show some of the PS2s graphical limits/poor programming!).

Plus with 2 components, 2 RGB scarts and one normal scart, a VGA input plus an array of s-video and composite inputs you can plug lots of equipment in without fear of resorting to multiple switchboxes :D

9. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Under the distance selling regulations you have the right to return an item within 7 days of receipt. See here on the
    OFT website