1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best LCD for normal viewing, PC and Xbox gaming?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by McGraw, May 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Must be a minimum of 32".
    Ideally less than £3k.
    Must have DHCP.

I want a top notch picture and connectivity but also excellent gaming performance.

Ideally I would like to play PC games at a high native widescreen resolution.

Something like 1280x768 or higher (if that's correct).

Cheers.

2. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Only 1 for is that is the Hitachi 32ld7200. Get it for about £1200 www.unbeatable.com

3. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I just went for the relisys 32 but if i had the cash to splash i would have got the phillips 9986

4. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The problem with the 9986 is that the VGA, DVI and component are shared (it's got a DVI connector and you use a VGA->DVI adapter and also a component->VGA adapter). So if the PC is using DVI or VGA there's no component input (which is the best quality XBox connection, and is required for HD XBox display). You can of course use XBox RGB or keep swapping and maybe that's something you'd be prepared to do to get the 9986's picture quality.

McGraw's requirements are similar to mine (though my budget is about £1200 max) and I'm looking at the Hitachi 32LD7200.

5. Starfury

Starfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm new here, so my opinion probably wont count for much, but I would suggest a Samsung LE32R41B (possibly also reffered to as a LE32A41B).

It should be available about now for around £1200.

The reason I submit this suggestion is because right now Microsoft, makers of the Xbox, seem to be buddying themselves up with Samsung in preparation for the Xbox's successor (Xenon or 360, or whatever it'll be called).
    Much speculation on videogame sites regarding the new console and that it may be capable of High definition images.

I'm looking for a new TV to suit needs similar to your own, but want to buy one that is relatively future-proof (if there is such a thing). Thats what lead me to start looking seriously at the aforementioned LCD TV.

Apparently the set has;

DNIe 10 bit video processing
    3000:1 contrast ratio
    1,366 x 768 resolution
    2 SCART sockets (1 RGB)
    HDMI (HDCP) for High Def TV
    and all manner of other bells and whistles.

I'm currently looking for a review of it anywhere.
    And of course will want to see one in operation before buying.

But it is tempting me.

6. VanBurenPhilips

VanBurenPhilips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm currently using the Hitachi for Xbox gaming (mostly 480p, some 720p, no 1080i yet) and it looks excellent - rich colous, strong black, no smearing or other problems with fast movement at all. It even looks good with my Gamecube in 480i.

I haven't hooked up my PC yet - take a look at this thread. It seems you can easily get 1360x768 (3-pixel black borders left and right) or 1368x768 (1 pixel-column off-screen each side), and if you have an Nvidia card you can acheive the native 1366x768 (easily over VGA, with a little tweaking for DVI). If you have an ATi card, I believe 1360 or 1368 are your only options, but IMO the consequences are negligible.

3 SCARTs (2x RGB), 1 component, 1 DVI (HDCP), 1 HDMI (HDCP), 1 VGA and I think 2 composite/s-video. Detachable side speakers, although I haven't managed to get the buggers off mine yet. And a motorized swivel stand, handy if you're not planning on wall-mounting.

7. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The new Samsungs look interesting, no mention on the UK site of them at all, but as someone else mentioned, they look a lot like the models sold in the US. (You can get the Manual off the US site, but dont take it for granted they will be the same as UK models)

The High Definition / XBox 360 concerns you have are nothing to do with the Samsung sets. If you buy a HDTV Ready TV with the relevent connections (DVI+HDCP or HDMI) then you will be set. Theres quite a few LCDs with the right connectors already, and more coming out all the time so dont limit yourself to the Samsung.

8. Starfury

Starfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I didn't intend it to sound as though I had concerns regarding HD / 360.

What I was trying to say was that with MS recent new-found friendship with Samsung, I would be inclined to believe that the 360's HD output will be developed with Samsung TV's in mind.

There will undoubtably be better quality pictures from a 360/Xenon using other LCD TV's, but the Samsungs will probably be the benchmark.

9. Starfury

Starfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  10. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thats the old model i believe. The newer ones have a different chassis. (Identical to the US models pretty much)
    The R41B is the newest model, and the R41BD is the same but with integrated freeview/digital tuner.

11. Starfury

Starfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, my broadcast picture comes in via NTL cable, so I don't know how much use a freeview tuner would be.

Is there much of a price diff between B and BD models? If it was low, it might be worth the digital tuner as an option when NTL screw-up the signal transmission (an altogether far too frequent occurance)

12. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    £50. http://www.digiuk.com/sectionlist.asp?c=1002960&s=&guid=&id=74
    Id seriously consider the Hitachi 32LD7200 set aswell though (amongst others). It looks like a stunner and has been well received. It has all the right HiDef connectors too. There are no reviews of the new Samsungs as yet, and the last lot weren't all that great, with picture smearing issues etc so wait for the reviews to start popping up.

13. iamhoey

iamhoey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On digiuk.com the B is £800 and the BD is £850, I am currently torn between the two, but I am yet to see either in person, so I am not sure if it is a good idea to buy!

14. Craigc

Craigc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also considering the Hitachi 32LD7200, can anyone tell me what the picture quality is like ?

15. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I didn't see any response for ages and forgot about this thread.

I'll investigate all your options.

Thanks very much.