Best LCD for lack of motion blurring?

dmr

Standard Member
I'd be grateful for any help please.

I'm hoping to buy my first 32" LCD TV. I'm not too bothered about having great cinematic sound quality, the sharpest colours or the blackest 'black' etc., but the one thing that I find does tend to get on my nerves is too much motion blurring on football matches etc..

I've been looking at the Sony V2500, the Philips 9631/9641 and the Toshibas.

Would anyone be able to advise on the best 32" for minimising motion blurring?

Thanks.

Yannis

Panasonic 32LXD70 should be the best there is followed by Toshiba 32WL68.

Koala

Well I've had the V2500 for a week and am very happy with it, infact alot better than I expected!! Haven't noticed any motion blur.:thumbsup:

KeanosMagicHat

Panasonic 32LXD70 should be the best there is followed by Toshiba 32WL68.

Not in the market for a 32" myself but this review backs up Yannis' Panasonic recommendation:

"Motion

The first incarnation of frame interpolation algorithms can be found in what we consider the first generation of LCD HDTVs e.g. Sharp XD1E powered by Micronas TruD engine, Philips' proprietary Digital Natural Motion. Regrettably, early adopters will also remember the unusual pseudo-fast forward motion artifact that came along with judder reduction. At that time we weren't impressed and did not recommend it.

This time around, things have improved to the extent where motion is smoother and judder free without being too artificial. Futhermore, smearing has been reduced with shorter sample-and-hold time. This is what football fans who love LCDs have been waiting for."

http://www.*/Panasonic-TX32LXD70/

philflow

TH-32LXD70 we were a little disappointed with Standard Definition Freeview. Our expectations had been so high that this was understandable, and the SD capabilities of the TX-32LXD70 are actually on par with any other LCD we have seen to date. You need to get really up close to the screen before detecting any blurriness, video noise or motion smearing.

The improved 100hz refresh rate looks like it has a big impact on this screen. Fast panning, especially the type seen on detailed action movies or sports coverage is remarkably free of motion blur or smearing. Inconsistencies are still visible, with a tendency for loss of focus the most notable, but the TX32LXD70 is nevertheless a leap forward for LCD motion handling capabilities.

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/Panasonic_TX32LXD70.htm

I also heard very good things about motion handling on Toshiba's 32WL66 range. They're not the newest model anymore so you can get them really cheap.

Yannis

Well I've had the V2500 for a week and am very happy with it, infact alot better than I expected!! Haven't noticed any motion blur.:thumbsup:

My 32S2010 is also very good with fast movement.It's very difficult to see any bluring. Bravia Engine sure does a great job.
Apart from that 100Hz LCDs are even better.

Phil the 32WL66 has AUO panel (P-MVA) which means washed colors and poor viewing angles so despite the low price i wouldn't recommend it.

philflow

Phil the 32WL66 has AUO panel (P-MVA) which means washed colors and poor viewing angles so despite the low price i wouldn't recommend it.

Not sure if you're right there Yannis.

Toshiba 32WL66 is stated to have 178 viewing angle, and most of the reviews I've seen it got higher ratings than Sony S 2000 series.

S

SquintingBadger

Doesn't matter what angle the marketing blurb says, the viewing angle on the Toshiba is not great and washes out as you move away from dead centre.

Yannis

Toshiba 32WL66 is stated to have 178 viewing angle, and most of the reviews I've seen it got higher ratings than Sony S 2000 series.

The only comparison i remember between those two was made by magazine "Home Cinema Choice" where they had said that 32S2010 was better than Toshiba WL66 and a few other sets.:rolleyes:

philflow

J

jifster

I'd be grateful for any help please.

I'm hoping to buy my first 32" LCD TV. I'm not too bothered about having great cinematic sound quality, the sharpest colours or the blackest 'black' etc., but the one thing that I find does tend to get on my nerves is too much motion blurring on football matches etc..

I've been looking at the Sony V2500, the Philips 9631/9641 and the Toshibas.

Would anyone be able to advise on the best 32" for minimising motion blurring?

Thanks.

I'd say wait for the new Sony D3000's to be released as this will be quite soon. I'm holding off buying my 32" until then.

See this thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499557

and this first preview

http://sonyfanboy.wordpress.com/2007/04/15/new-sony-bravia-d3000-first-preview/

mercury2

what about 40inch + models that are good at motion handling ?
just the same models as mentioned here but in larger form ?

KeanosMagicHat

what about 40inch + models that are good at motion handling ?
just the same models as mentioned here but in larger form ?

There are no LCD's to my knowledge 40" or above that completely eradicate motion blur.

The one I'm looking at, the latest Samsung M86 or M87, has just been reviewed and had a "hint" of motion blur whilst watching SD football.

Speculation is that the 100Hz models due out later in the year (from Tosh and Phillips I think) may be better but I've been waiting for ages already.

If I can get a good price on the Samsung I reckon I'll live with the "hint".

Yannis

You may want to read that review again ;)

Toshiba gets higher ratings for image quality in that review. The only reason it doesn't win is that they took a Tosh without digital tuner. Quite silly if you ask me...

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6784

Lol , i see 32S2010 with 4.5 stars and Toshiba with 3.5 stars , i don't think that there is a whole star missing due to a digital tuner. Also don't forget that Toshiba is assembled n England and the review is from an English magazine.They have to support local products.:D

Αnyway both the WL66 and S2010 are now ancient history. One year is a long long time when it comes to LCD technology.:D

philflow

Lol , i see 32S2010 with 4.5 stars and Toshiba with 3.5 stars ,.

On Colour, Contrast and resolution they have the same score.
On Blacklevels
Sony: Good.
Toshiba: Excellent.

The reason Sony wins anyway is the digital tuner + better speakers.

D

Deleted member 13294

There are no LCD's to my knowledge 40" or above that completely eradicate motion blur.

The one I'm looking at, the latest Samsung M86 or M87, has just been reviewed and had a "hint" of motion blur whilst watching SD football.

Speculation is that the 100Hz models due out later in the year (from Tosh and Phillips I think) may be better but I've been waiting for ages already.

If I can get a good price on the Samsung I reckon I'll live with the "hint".

I've got a 100hz set > 40" with the Toshiba 42WLT68. No motion blur I can see.

mercury2

it's true, could be waiting forever for the 'perfect set', wish I hadn't been shown this forum sometimes :rotfl:
1080p..100hz...motion handling...decent size screen etc

P

Peter Galbavy

One comment in the Sharp XD1E thread was to turn sharpening off to reduce motion blur. This is worth trying at demo with any/all sets you are recommended.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow