1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best LCD for for £1500

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gpc1, Nov 23, 2004.

1. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going down the plasma route with the Hitachi 32pd5200 but have now been thrown into turmoil!!!!

Is theToshiba 30wl46 ( http://www.electricalscentre.com/acatalog/32_STASIA_LCD_TV.html )

better than the hitachi. Mr room isnt huge 3m by 3m approx. What would you get if you had £1500 to buy a screen for watching DVD's and Sky channels??

Please help :lease: :lease:

Ta
    Greg

2. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh seems like a good choice...Im waiting for it myself :cool:

3. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    I was deliberating between those two models as well!

I managed to track down the Tosh in a store of Saturday.

Was hooked up to a dvd feed of Monsters Inc. The tracing/smearing left on fast movements was horrible and would drive you crazy in 5 minutes.

This may well have been down to the fact that it was a split DVD feed (several other tv's were displaying the film as well (although on a Sony and Panasonic next to the Tosh there was little evidence of this)

I also managed to see the Hitachi 32PD5200 on display in Comet (after trying Currys who choose to rig it up to a crap DVD player and a £2 scart lead!) needless to say it looked very ropy.

Acrros the road, comet rigged it up to a Samusng DVD player with Monster Component Video cables. Watched a copy of Shrek on DVD and the picture was realy great.

I still havn't decided what tv to get but (I'm sure the Tosh is cable of a lot better than how I saw it) but i've seen the Hitachi and that was the bees knees. Only a cheap DVD player conneted as well....

4. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i must admit i have already seen the hitachi and was impressed with the quality. It too was only connected to a cheap DVD plaer via a crappy scart. Prob is the guy in currys wast to well informed on how the thing had been set up and configured.

I think the only true way of comparing is to by a decent scart and take my DVD player along with a selection of dvd's and set up a test using the kit i have. Prob is what about Sky+ signals. I suppose if the DVD proves a very good Pic quality then the Sky+ shouldnt be too far behind.

Any thought?
    Greg

5. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    gpc1,

You will find much on this forum about the Toshiba, but it is the 32WL48, rather the the previous 32WL48. If you are going this route, you should consider the latter.

The 48 has an HDMI input, which is not much use unless you are into paying fortunes for associated DVD players. Give it a year or so and SKY will start broadcasting in high-definition and you will be grateful for this advice. It also has leading-edge 8mS pixels which means you get a brilliant picture without motion smearing.

I have this model, as does a growing number of other members. No regrets!

6. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry mike, bit confused as to what model you have. Which is the one you recommend?

Greg

7. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok sussed it out now. Dowloaded a spec for the32wl48 from the tosh website. Definately impressive but the brightness, contrast and res wasnt as high as the hitachi. but, like you said, it is hdmi and hdtv ready. I have to say if this was the case for the hitachi i think i would go for that ( on paper anyway) so now i am even more confused.

How important is it to have HDMI, will it really make much of a diff as for the time being i will only be watching sky+, dvd's, possibly a playstation and maybe a PC.

Gpc

8. CarnalSins

CarnalSins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I read in other threads it seems that every set with 1366x768 is HDTV ready.

9. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If thats the case then the hitachi 32pd5300 is def not hdtv ready as it is 852x1024 (872,448) and the tosh is 1366x768 (1,049,088).

Hmmmm. Im wondering how importantd HDTV really is. Will it offer huge improvements in Pic quality or, by the time HDTV is commonplace and the technology is at its utmost ,will it be time for me to get a new TV anyway.So i may as well get the Hitachi until that time.

What to do??

Greg

10. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    2006 hdtv will be kicking in. You can always use dvi if u had a a dvi input lcd giving you HD. My tosh is good but i think sharp will be better 800 contrast and has dvi, hmmm. I am talking about sharp 32 versions.

11. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jesus....may head is :confused: . What is DVI and how does it relate to HDTV. I ask because the other screen i am looking at, the hitachi 32pd5300
    may not be HDTV/DVI capable, although it does have a DVI connection between media/tuner box and screen.....supposedly and has 852x1024 Pixels.

So if this is the case then can i run sky+ to the media box/tuner via scart and the screen will display the HDTV picture??????? :confused: :lease:

12. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI is a digital connection, which is usually used to connect PCs to LCD monitors. It's the best possible way to connect a display to a video source (as well as HDMI).

To view true High Definition (HD) video, you need a screen with a resoloution of at least 1280x720.

The Hitachi would be able to view HD video, but it would be scaled down. It would probably seem like DVD quality video on it.

Yes, there is a big difference in quality, when compared to regular TV. It's probably the biggest thing since black & white to colour TV.

You wouldn't need to upgrade your TV for quite a while (unless you wanted the latest spec display).

13. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just to pick you up on this Mike, look here
    for an HDMI DVD player you may be surprised!

14. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gulp!

Is it likely to be any good? Will it produce HDMI from standard DVDs?

I don't suppose the kit includes an HDMI cable. They are about fifty quid as manuacturers have to pay around £15,000 for alicence to manuacture them.

15. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    for under 1500 smackers surely the SHarps are the Best

16. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which sharp models are you talking about for under 1500 smackers.

Greg

17. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Home Cinema Choice give it 5/5 Review

18. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not the same...HD945 is the one with HDMI...
    Here in France cables are included in the box so you have a hdmi cable and a hdmi->dvi cable but I think you might want to buy better ones...

19. ANTHONYVEE

ANTHONYVEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have been pondering this issue as well and decided to go for the Philips.

http://www.electricalscentre.com/acatalog/32_PHILIPS_LCD_TV.html#a101289.
    The Philips has the amazinf PIXEL PLUS that takes care of most issues on LCD technology. The PF9976 has the advanced version of PIXEL Plus very similar to PIXEL PLUS 2. (I have been told by Philips) and I have seen the picture with both a terrible analog feed and with progressive scan DVD, it was almost 3D, I was sold.
    The main difference is the smoothness of movement...
    Enjoy

Worth considering but around 300 UK above the Sharp or Tosh

Anthony