Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best LCD for Football??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by southpaw, May 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Anyone recommend a LCD that has GREAT picture quality?

I've recently taken back a Tevion 32" because it couldn't handle it.

I need an LCD that can use for watching Television and DVDs on. Nothing else!!

Ideally a 32" or 30". Although may consider a 28".

Look to spend less than £1000 but nearer £800!

2. hogan

hogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're requirements seem much the same a my own. Of all the sets I've viewed in this price range the Phillips 30pf9946 has the best picture however I don't pretend to be an expert by any means & would also really appreciate some advise from those of you who are more in the know.

3. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the response time on the philips?. Lots of small players moving quickly on a pitch would seem the perfect recipe for motion blur.

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I don't think there currently is a perfect LCD for football. Out of all of the models I've look at, incl the current offerings from Philips, Sharp, Toshiba and Loewe and Sony, they all show some signs of motion blur with televised sport. I think this just the nature of the beast wih LCD at the moment. Hopefully some of the new models arriving over the coming months may well fair better.

5. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    football is a great test for any tv set no matter what it is, unfortunately from my experience with a Sharp LCD left little to be desired when watching Rugby, even drama/news programmes looked very dodgy. Shame because i would love an excuse to get a flatscreen tv. I use a TFT philips monitor and it plays dvds/tv caps adn other media pretty well, this may be down to it being only 17 inch but i watch alot of media through it and i am very happy with it. My question to any experts is, are TFTs the same technology as LCD and if so why the need to call them TFT why not just LCD to avoid confusion?

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Philips 9986 or in 6 weeks or so Philips 9830.

BEST FOR EVERYTHING!

Jimmy

7. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    But certainly not sub £1000!

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Even you can admit that there's a certain amout of motion blur with the Philips and televised sport. I've certainly noticed it no matter what settings I had at the time.

9. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    for football you cant beat the OLD heavy fat boy CRT`S :) lol.but serioulsy why is it such a hassle for the new technologys to sort the pic out on the football? i have seen it on plasma`s and a lot more on LCD`s and while i understand that plasmas and lcds have the upper hand in a lot more departments but at this minute in time imho if your gonna use a display to watch normal tv its pretty hard to find something reasonably priced that can beat a 32 inch crt.

10. kaarlito

kaarlito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, today I have been in a shop :p At this moment there was a race Formula 1, so quite a good test for LCD screen. I was quite impressed by the Panasonic 26" (the new one) ,the PQ was nice and sharp enought to see details even when the formula 1 were on the race. I was tempted by Sharp, but after I have seen this Panasonic, I am not sur :p A sony 32" (black) was also very interesting, good contrast and not smearing things, the the best was the Panasonic... it has a Digital signal.

11. Puffer

Puffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    neilmcl

I reckon the new Philips 9830 might have the problem of motion blur solved ,

unfortunately it will probably be far to expensive for the average punter.

Their was a post on one of the threads with a link to some company taking

orders for the 9830 costing over £2000 per unit which may be available in

July sometime, no doubt the price will reduce as new panels become

available from different company's, but will it be to a reasonable level

for the average punter ? I doubt it very much .

12. REALDEAL

REALDEAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    which panny 26" m8 and how much? i found that the tevion that south paw had was ok with motor sport.but not footy.......as most lcd @ present

13. Puffer

Puffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I coudn't agree with you more SILVERBACK you really need both

technologies at present until they manage to merge the best of both worlds .

14. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    i was unbelievably close to buying a PW6 a few months ago but bottled out at the last minute as i just couldnt live with the littel niggly downsides of plasma owning.LCD does look like it has the upper hand over plasma in almost every department BUT the most important,PICTURE for standard tv watching.i dont wanna start a flame war etc but i havent seen a lcd setup running standard sky tv via rgb that compares to a good CRT.plasma is closer but still hasnt quite got it imo.

the thing i love about lcds is the connectivity and the high resolution of the screen over plasma`s,in the long run i think i will just hold on for another 6 months maybe xmas and see what the situation is then with lcd.apart from tv watching the plasmas and lcds do surpass CRT by some way as watching the xbox in progressive on a big screen is breath taking along with other high quality footage.but like i said for normal vanilla TV you cant beat a CRT.

15. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bet they'll be loads of ads for Large LCDs when the footy season starts up again though!

16. Puffer

Puffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure they will be better and cheaper as the technology improves.

At the moment the thought of paying lots of money to watch blur and smear

on the footy is a real tun off for me.

17. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I am currently watching the women's football via analogue aerial. I have a TEVION 32" and there is very , very little bluring when the ball moves, but then again they don't kick it very hard...... :rotfl:

Seriously the screen is good for footy imo, via freeview it is worse, but this could be a transmitted frame rate issue.

btw I find F1 and Tennis good tests of smear and blur.

18. coley65

coley65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thats weird gotta agree watched the same game and have to agree it looked superb no motion blur what so ever yet I watched another game in the week and it was awful. I have the tevion too.

regards Coley

19. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I watched the FA cup final on freeview and I can't say that I saw anything that detracted me from the match. I actually thought that the PQ was more than acceptable (but not as good as my CRT but I expected that) and couldn't see that anyone could say that the PQ was poor or suffered from bluring. All in all, watching the match on the larger screen was a more involving experience than watching it on my smaller CRT.

The usual complaint of LCD/plasma viewers of a green carpet was not evident although I did turn DNC back on and there was only a little evidence of pea soup/carpeting. However, no evidence at all of motion blur of the ball from normal viewing distance even with DNC on. It may be a different situation if I had been watching with the default settings that the display comes set to out of the box.

Loewe Xelos SL 32", BBC on Freeview. DNC/DNR off. I only watch the big matches so maybe compression issues are less for those. My sport is F1 and I have absolutuely no issues with that.