1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best LCD for computer connection?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PC_112, Feb 12, 2005.

1. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I asked a similar question in the plasma forum but they send me here :)

I am looking for the 40" + LCD that has the best quality possible when connected with a computer. So I want to use it as a usual TV but as a PC monitor also.

My budget is 4500 pounds max.

Another limitation is 112cm width, otherwise it will not fit my space.

Please advice.

Thanks.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I think that the 40"+ may be your limitation with LCD. Only one springs to mind, the 45" Sharp Aquos, but that may be over your budget - 1920x1080 resolution though. I can't recommend the Philips 42" 9986 since its DVI connection is DVI-video and its PC resolutions are limited. If you came down to 37", there would be very much more to choose from.

-Ian

3. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    But can I use those 1920x1080 pixels when outputing from a PC?
    Here: http://www.monitoroutlet.com/M90086.html it says that the PC resolution is 1280x1024

4. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Any other suggestions?

5. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    40" is very large. I doubt it is practical as a PC screen.
    Had you asked for 30" I would have mentioned the Apple Cinema screens.

Remember for use as a PC screen you must be close to it even if it displays pixels one-for-one (which is problematic on many TV sets).
    I can display a 1280x720p picture on the TV (for some reason it does not want 1366x768, probably someone thought "it is not a Windows resolution so we better not offer it") but when sitting at normal viewing distance it is impossible to use it for PC functionality.
    Watching movies in HD is OK of course.

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I've tried to get hold of the manual from the Sharp website. I was hoping it was going to follow the naming convention of the smaller sized GD and GA models but it doesn't.

I would not rule this model out if the only thing against it is a web site stating that 1280x1024 is the maximum PC resolution. This information is likely to be incorrect, but you will need to confirm with Sharp. It is possible that this is the maximum standard PC resolution supported without reverting to custom resolutions using powerstrip. Even so, it is still much higher than the maximum afforded by others, like the Philips 42" which will be 1280x768 (or 1366x768 with other models).

-Ian

7. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I look for the manuals by searching for the product rather than looking in the Aquos Range set of pages... Seems to deliver a slightly different page that has a manual link on the left hand side.

8. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that the terror of Windows has effect on the PC display capabilities of TVs :thumbsdow
    Panel resolutions are rounded down to the highest fitting Windows resolution, and the TV only accepts that maximum and re-scales it to the actual screen or even shows black borders.

I have experimented a bit, but there seems to be no way of displaying PC content at full screen and with 1:1 pixel mapping on the Philips 9986, for example. Maximum "XVGA" resolution is listed as 1024x768 and displays as a 4:3 picture with black bars.
    It seems that 1280x768 is accepted but it is displayed at the PC-standard 15:9 ratio so there still are black borders on the side.

HD resolutions are 1280x720p with black borders all around, and 1920x1080i.
    Only the latter is displayed fullscreen, but of course it is being scaled down.

1366x768 would be the optimal resolution but it is no Windows resolution so the set does not offer it. I would not know why it would not be technically possible to offer it.

It seems the Sharp has similar issues.

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thats what you get for buying the Philips! It really is a compromise compared with the Sharp's/Loewe's when linking with HD external sources - borders in 720p and sharing of DVI/component/VGA on a single input.

At least the Sharp's/Loewe's will scale to fit if you want for no borders and do 1:1 dot for dot at 1360/8x768 (for the smaller sets) and 1080i for the 45" Sharp using powerstrip. Its just a shame that Sharp have apparently missed a trick not offering 1080p on the 45" model. Still not as good as the 30" Apple monitor though.

-Ian

10. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, so what you are saying is that the 45" Aquos is almost as good as the 30" Apple monitor when used with a PC? If thats the case then it seems perfect, since I am not looking for the top PC monitor, but for a great TV that can be a great (but not necessarily the best) monitor as well.

So are you sure that with powerstrip I can use the full resolution of the 45" Aquos? Whats the response time like when playing games?