1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best LCD for £600 (approx)?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by wafc, Jul 23, 2005.

1. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    What are peoples opinions on the best LCD screen you can buy for around £600? From reading these forums and checking out prices I would tend to think that the best I could go for would be the Samsung LE26R41B 26" LCD which is HD ready? Do you think this is correct?

I already have one of the Asda Dual 26" LCD's but I'm strongly considering taking it back as I'm just not sure of the quality of it and it isnt HD ready.

Re the Samsung mentioned above: I know that most people seem to be purchasing them from Empire online www.empiredirect.co.uk for £599 plus £20 delivery but I've also noticed that you can pick them up from Robertsons online www.robertsons-online.co.uk for £589 with free delivery! Has anyone else purchased one from there? Or anything from there for that matter?

Thanks.

2. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    digiuk as well!

3. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
  4. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think I'd go with the Samsung purely because its HD Ready!

Does anyone have the 26" version of the Samsung? and what are your opinions of it as I am considering ordering one!

Also does anyone use a wall bracket with it and is it ok? Do you know where I can get a good reasonably priced wall bracket for it?

Thanks.

5. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    The Toshiba is HD ready! (well...supposed to be)

I paid £680 for it only 6 weeks ago.....that is an absolute bargain. I thought i had got it for a good price. (play had it up for £699 when i got mine)

6. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I didnt think it was HD Ready, it has a HDMI slot but I haven't seen it listed as "HD Ready" anywhere? Or have I just missed it? :confused:

7. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
  8. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I was under the impression that just because a tv has a HDMI slot it doesn't mean it is HD Ready, ie compatible with SKY HD etc, I may be wrong though. Also I have seen a few adverts for that Toshiba screen and I hadn't seen the HD Ready logo, apparantly they have to have that logo on, although the link above does show it.

So has anybody any views on which is the better screen? Samsung or Toshiba?

9. Bill S

Bill S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  10. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're getting your HDMI ports mixed up with DVI inputs. They are both digital inputs, and are compatible with each other, however, DVI ports must also support HDCP in order for it to be compatible with the future Sky HD broadcasts.

HDMI ports are HDCP compatible as standard, but DVI ports are not.

So when a TV has an HDMI port, it is 99% certain to be compatible with Sky HD broadcasts (there are other criteria like supporting 720i/P, 1080i at 50 and 60 hz, having digital compatible component inputs etc. in order for the TV to be able to display the HD Ready logo) :lesson:

Ben

11. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Ah ok, thanks.

So has anybody any views on which is the better screen? Samsung LE26R41b or the 27" Toshiba? They're both approx £599 :confused:

12. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Well I'm on the verge of ordering the Samsung LE-26R41BDX simply because it's said to be the TV Microsoft are using for the Xbox 360 demo pods (albeit it will be the smaller 23" panel) and it has component input, which the Toshiba lacks. That means I can connect the Xbox 360 via component, my PC by D-SUB and my Samsung DVD-HD850 DVD player via HDMI, at least, until the PS3 arrives next year.

For a TV to be HD-compliant it has to have component and HDMI or DVI (HDCP enabled) connections or so it says on Sky's website.

13. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I was swaying towards the Samsung LE-26R41BDX myself actually, especially since play.com are doing it at £599! Whats the diff with that and the 51BDX?

What is a D-SUB connection btw? I'm only familiar with VGA and DVI for pc?

When the PS3 comes out and Sky HD aswell will we just have to buy a splitter for more HDMI slots as there is only one on this tv?

Thanks.

14. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    The 51BDX only differs from the 41BDX in looks - the black front bit tapers down on the 51BDX but is parallel to the screen with the 41BDX and in my opinion looks nicer - and the sound - the 51BDX uses a different version of NICAM. Other than that they are identical feature-wise as the manual is the same for both.

The D-SUB is just another name for the VGA connector.

I should add that the Toshiba LCD will accept component via the VGA connector but that still means you lose a port and people are having problems getting 720p+ through the VGA port as some models do not apparently work without a firmware update.