1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best LCD for £1,500-£1,800?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by adam1962, May 10, 2005.

1. adam1962

adam1962

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a budget of £1,500 (which I could stretch by £300 or so if it was worth it...).

Am wondering what people might suggest I buy for this? Want an LCD, not a plasma: size 32inch.

Am very confused about HDMI and whether it is a must at this time here in the UK. My last (Panasonic) tv has lasted almost 20 years, and I don't want to have buy another one for at least 10 years if I can help it....

My brother has just bought a Sony KLV-L32M1, and he raves about it. Although I like the look of that tv, I am concerned about this whole HDMI issue. Should I be?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Adam

PS Main tv uses: watching sports, and dvds

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I think if you are expecting a set to last 5 years or more, HDMI or DVI+HDCP should be very high on your lists of must haves.

Thankfully I never had to make the choice between B&W or colour, but my previous set was purchased at the end of the 80's. I paid extra to have Nicam even though at the time it was only a test broadcast. That set lasted me 17+ years or so and is still going strong at my mothers. If it didn't have Nicam, I probably would have replaced it before it was 2 years old. I think when it happens, the shift to HDTV will be of more significance than the introduction of Nicam, especially since, unlike Nicam, it is unlikely that a cost effective external solution would provide you with the functionality that you loose by not having HDMI/DVI+HDCP - ie SkyHD / blu-ray / HD-DVD possible future HD service on Freeview.

-Ian

3. adam1962

adam1962

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian...well I guess that puts the Sony out of the picture, then.

Have been told that the Toshiba 32WL48 is a good LCD in its class.

regards,
    Adam

4. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,577
    Adam - the one they all craze about on here for 32" LCD seems to be the Hitachi 32LD7200. Available for around £1,300, it probably has everything you'd want in an LCD ready for HD + it's probably the best cosmetically looking machine for that sort of money. Sharps look better IMO but the price goes up to £2,000+ for the GD1.

5. adam1962

adam1962

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks DJT75, will look into the Hitachi...as my budget is slightly more than £1,300, I really wanted to get some top piece of kit, utilising all my budget...I suppose if I went for the Hitachi, I could also then get a dvd player/recorder (instead of using my kids' PS2 for dvds!).

Mmm...looks are important to me: I prefer it when they have the speakers below the screen, rather than on the side (or rather my Mrs does).

DVD recorder/LCD 32 inch bundle suggestions for £1,500 also now appreciated.

Many thanks,
    adam

6. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,577
    The Sharps have the speakers under the screen but like I say, the LC32GD1 is expensive & the alternative Sharps GA3 are hard to find but around £1,500+.

The other recommended machines I've seen on here are the Loewe A machines - again speaker underneath & if you can find one Philips 32PF9976 too...

I'm a big fan of not having bulging side speakers - hence I still haven't bought a machine yet!! Can't find what I what in 37" for the right price. That 32" Hitachi's speakers are very minimal though so it looks good..

cheers

7. adam1962

adam1962

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks DJT75, I almost bought a Sharp LC37GA5, but pulled out when I realised that a) it's just too damned big for my needs, and b) it is not HD ready etc. Also the price of around £1,500 for a 37inch lcd just seemed too good to be true...and elsewhere on this Forum people didn't sound impressed with the (lack of) socket spec. etc.

regards,
    Adam

8. jmcardle

jmcardle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    THe Hitachi 32LD7200 speakers are detachable. So you'd be better buying that and using the saving for a surround sound system, no? Someone like Richer Sounds could do you a good deal and still leave youwith some change...

Just a thought

9. adam1962

adam1962

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the thought Jamie, but I am not such a movie buff that I need cinema style sounds when watching tv, but I am fussy about quality of picture and general look of the box......

By the way, what do you do with Hitachi speakers once they are off the unit? Do they have wires or are they remote?

Thanks again,
    Adam