Question Best Large TV for poor quality source?

Mark Ward

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new 55-65" TV for my 85 year old father.

#1 Priority is the picture & sound quality from a lower resolution source. His previous (now broken) 42" Samsung did ok with the picture, but had poor sound when turned up in his big room.

He's in Cyprus & gets his UK TV channels from a local service that use an HDMI connected IPTV MAG TV box. I'm not even 100% sure what that is, but I don't think many of the channels are HD, mainly 480p. He insists he wants a bigger TV next time, but I'm concerned the picture will be even worse than he had with his old 42" TV.

Should I persuade him to stick to the smaller 42" TV? He has room enough for a very large TV

He says he'd like the TV to be easy to use, but in reality all he watches is from the little box, and that experience obviously won't change. We got him a 40" No Brand AndroidTV for another room & the length of time that takes to boot up drives him to distraction, he doesn't't use any of those features on either TV. We use them when visiting though.

Any advice/help appreciated.

Thanks.

He won't use local Satellite or Terrestrial channels, but will probably use Netflix from time to time.

Which of the major brands do the best job of upscaling lower resolution sources?

prob this one due to the chip it uses.

UHD models require more upscaling, so in truth you are probably best sticking with what you have, or buying a HD model.

What is the viewing distance and what model number is his current TV?
What is your budget?

Another problem with modern TVs tends to be sound quality, TVs that come with dedicated, but separate speakers or soundbars tend to sound the best, but they are also costly.

UHD models require more upscaling, so in truth you are probably best sticking with what you have, or buying a HD model.

What is the viewing distance and what model number is his current TV?
What is your budget?

Another problem with modern TVs tends to be sound quality, TVs that come with dedicated, but separate speakers or soundbars tend to sound the best, but they are also costly.
What we have is broken, so need replacement. I suppose around £1000 budget.
Viewing distance around 3M optimal, although some seats closer, some further away 🙂.

Problem you have is that most TVs are now 4K, so scaling up standard def on them looks a bit pants. On your budget you would be best served by trying to locate a 1080p TV, although you are unlikely to find one in a larger size.

A used 1080p OLED would probably be a decent buy, but only if you could see it and check the panel.

Anything new is going to be 4K and that level of upscaling isn't going to look good.

You'll be okay with HD on a 50-55" at 3m viewing distance, SD you will start to notice its a lot poorer. You'll be getting a bigger TV, with more pixels so upscaling really will be more prevalent.

Of course if you don't mind about the picture being softer for the sake of it being bigger, it doesn't matter. You have the budget for a 55" OLED like the LG BX or Panasonic HZ980 which should make for much better overall quality, despite the picture of SD feeds being quite a bit softer. Probably the Pansasonic has the edge with upscaling.

Thank you, and everyone else for your advice.

I’ve spoken to my Dad and passed on the information here. He has a friend who has a 55” LG, he seems to think that’s a pretty good picture. I’ll try & persuade him to pay the extra for OLED 🙂👍

Thank you, and everyone else for your advice.

I’ve spoken to my Dad and passed on the information here. He has a friend who has a 55” LG, he seems to think that’s a pretty good picture. I’ll try & persuade him to pay the extra for OLED 🙂👍
Hmm... I don't know if you need to spend so much.
OLED isn't for everyone (burn in, etc) and could be overkill in your situation.
Size is fine. I use 55" and regularly watch some laughably bad (VHS) sources at a normal viewing distance and still enjoy them.

Absolute best upscaling from 'inferior' sources:
1. Sony, Samsung and Panasonic tie
2. LG and Philips (very close 2nd place)
3. Others

Philips models with their P5 chip probably produce the most 'people pleasing' (meaning not 100% accurate but very enjoyable to watch) picture from less-than-perfect sources.

If you want absolute accuracy then Sony or Panasonic (Panasonic models HX800 and above with their HCX chip) will give you it no matter what your source. Samsung and LG are also very good - there isn't a huge amount between brands.

I think 49-50" is a good size for mostly SD and a comfortable size for regular use. 55" is good too; 65" is probably too much. Obviously viewing distance and personal preference dictates this more.

TVs with the best sound quality at the moment generally speaking:
1. Mid/upper model LG, Philips and Panasonic
2. Hisense
3. Some Samsung models
4. Very few Sony models other than expensive top of the range ones

I think LG series UN7000+ have some of the best (for a TV) sound at the moment. Philips and Hisense are usually quite good here too. Panasonic's HX800 isn't bad. Every Sharp one is good.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I passed on all the advice here, and having seen a friends LG. That’s what he went for.
A 65” 4K model, not OLED, and he’s very happy with the picture quality. I’m surprised, but I guess the 2-3m viewing distance probably helps.
Thanks again everyone 🙂👍.

I passed on all the advice here, and having seen a friends LG. That’s what he went for.
A 65” 4K model, not OLED, and he’s very happy with the picture quality. I’m surprised, but I guess the 2-3m viewing distance probably helps.
Thanks again everyone 🙂👍.
If he's happy, that's all that matters!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom