Best laptop under £500?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ijintheuk, Sep 3, 2012.

1. ijintheuk

ijintheuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

My parents are buying me a new laptop for sixth form. They set me a £300 budget but I may put some money towards it if I want to.

It will mostly be used just to search the internet, watch videos and do simple school work and maybe a little music and video editing. I would like a good screen with over 15" display.

I have mainly just been searching HUKD for good deals but nothing has popped up so far.

Any help is appreciated!

2. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
  3. ijintheuk

ijintheuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

As some of you might know from my previous thread I am looking for a new laptop for 6th form. I will mostly be using it to watch videos such as youtube but will be doing school work and a bit of music and video editing (Not much). I also sometimes like to play simple games, not much though.

My brother is selling his Samsung for an upgrade and has offered me it for the same price as the Lenovo (Arounf £280) so which do you think is best for me?

The Lenovo has a better processor (i5-2450m) against the samsung (i3-2350m) but the Samsung has 6GB of RAM instead of the 4GB RAM on the Lenovo. Not sure what the graphics they are using which may important for me as I like to watch videos in the best quality possible.

Also, I would maybe like the opportunity to use a HDMI cable to plug the laptop in to my TV but this is not essential, especially if the laptop as a whole is better except that it does not have a HDMI slot.

Anyway, thanks alot in advance for any help you give

4. ijintheuk

ijintheuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks alot seems like it has everything I want and need!

Will have to think about it some more but it looks very promising!

5. ijintheuk

ijintheuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dam they've changed the price to £390. Do you think it will go down again in the next week or should I just plan with this figure in mind?

6. ijintheuk

ijintheuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

Have made a couple of threads and have decided to merge them into one so there is more discussion and more to choose from. I am looking for a new laptop and have a budget of £500 (Well, I can stretch higher but would much prefer to stay below £500, unless £50 more adds much more or something along those lines). I will mainly use it to browse the internet and watch youtube videos but I will be using it to do school work and music and video editing.

The display neeeds to be at least 15" and preferably 1080p but not a deal breaker especially with my budget! I would prefer it to have a dedicated graphics card, not intergrated and over 2Ghz processor speed. Don't really mind what company it is as long as it is fairly reliable.

Interested in the Acer 5755G as it has some good specs but that gives you an idea of what I'm looking for. Have tried to look but can't seem to find many laptops with the budget I have and the specs I want, but I may be looking in completely in the wrong places!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help! :smashin:

7. Mikewebb

Mikewebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I took delivery of the ACER 5755G last night, at the excellent price of £350 thanks to LJx :smashin:

The spec is really overkill for what essentially will be a bedside computer (web browsing, youtube, streaming 720p/1080p MKV and blu-ray over the network), but I was looking for something in the £350-400 bracket that had:

1. A Sandy Bridge processor.
    2. Gigabit ethernet.
    3. USB3.
    4. Dedicated graphics better than the onboard HD3000 and, if possible, the HD4000 on the newer Ivy chips.

I think I got all 4 of these requirements covered with this one. Not overly bothered about the GPU as the HD3000 handles what I want with ease but it's nice to know heres a bit of extra grunt I case I ever need it.

Coming from a 10" ASUS Atom N270 netbook this thing is like night and day, so this is my first real laptop. It chomped through 1080p MKV and streaming blu-rays in TotalMediaTheatre. Also loaded up a game of FM12, where the recommended leagues was 6. seemed to load that up pretty quickly and handle the match engine and processing well.

There's the usual pre-loaded crap which took about 20 minutes to get rid of and no recovery partition. I don't think theres a recovery disk included but there is a pre-installed Acer program to create one. I didn't bother and plan to reinstall a fresh copy anyway once I've made sure it's all working fine.

My only slight gripe is the reflective screen which may not be the best for some, and the viewing angles aren't brilliant (although I was essentially trying to use it laid horizonal in bed and not at a desk!). It took a bit of shifting around and adjusting the brightness and angles to get it just right, but one there I'd say the screen quality was acceptable, but maybe I'm just used to my 2560x1440 Dell desktop monitor.

It could also be justifiably described as bland, although considering its unlikely to see the light of day doesn't bother me at all. The lid is a finger print magnet though. But overall the build quality seems good.

Overall though for £350, I'm pretty pleased. I think it's gone to £380 now (£400 on their website) which is still a fair deal for the spec.

Although PC World do have that Samsung 300E5C Ivybridge i5-3210M for £399 (after £100 cashback) which looks a great deal and also has 6GB, 750GB HD, Gigabit ethernet, but no USB3 and just the onboard HD4000 GPU. For £400 this sounds like it might be a better deal that the ACER at £380, particularly as you will be video editing. I'm not sure you'll get 1080p at your budget, not without cutting back on some other essential specs.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  8. ijintheuk

ijintheuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes I've just had a look at that samsung and it does seem very good for the price. Plus I think my father has £50 at PCWorld so it would be £350. My brother offered me his Samsung 300E5A for £280 which I'm not sure about.

9. ijintheuk

ijintheuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Oh nevermind can't use the £50 with the £100 cashback so yes it will be £400 which seems like a great deal.

10. ijintheuk

ijintheuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Okay this may be a stupid question but would the Intel HD 4000 be able to run, for example, a blu-ray smoothly and still look good? Or would I need something like a GT630m?

Also, I will sometimes be running the laptop through mt TV so it will need to still be able to run smoothly.

11. Mikewebb

Mikewebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    HD 4000 will be able to play blu-ray flawlessly

12. ijintheuk

ijintheuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In which case I just want a good processor and a good screen with a HDMI output aswell

13. ijintheuk

ijintheuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just found the Acer 5560G for £320. Should I go for it? The AMD processor in it got quite a low benchmark result compared to the Intel processors.

Would the HD 3000 be able to run blu-ray flawlessly?

14. mrnutts

mrnutts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0