Best laptop for video editing - Budget £650-1000

Figorulz11

Hi all,

Needing some help deciding best laptop for doing video editing. I'd ideally like to get AMD laptop as they seem to be really good value for money based on the performance you can get from what i've been reading up.

These are my requirements.

512GB + SSD storage
15" or 14" size laptop
dedicated graphics card
AMD chipset worth it?
16GB ram
1080p display

Any suggestions please? Thank you.

Last edited:

GingerRocky

if you can get a used dell precision or HP zbook they are good for editing etc.

or a gaming laptop would probably work, hp omen series, asus, lenovo etc. some high end elitebooks are also good with descrete gpu's.

Figorulz11

if you can get a used dell precision or HP zbook they are good for editing etc.

or a gaming laptop would probably work, hp omen series, asus, lenovo etc. some high end elitebooks are also good with descrete gpu's.
Thanks for reply, do you have any examples? Not the best with this kind of stuff haha

GingerRocky

thats not a bad one from dell outlet. i7 too.

i'm selling my gaming laptop soon, not much use. asus rog strix gg531g. i'll be putting it on the forums, will be £950 or there abouts, but that dell is good.

also not to bad.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Onboard SSD storage only is ideal for the speed, no mechanical hard drive, but comes with expense. And budget for external storage for backing up unless you already have some

The latest AMD chips are benchmarking better than Intel, however, some OEM's have contracts with Intel so do not offer AMD on every line anyway

Saw this

With RTX 2060 was £850 last week but sadly has now increased in price

The 1650 is a less capable GPU

At this point, do looks matter :p

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Check the video editing software you are planning to use supports GPU rendering. Some don't and it places a massive load on the CPU and negates the need for a discrete GPU.

Other than that, support for multiple drives - EG: a smaller M2 program drive and larger SSD for data will speed things no end.

Figorulz11

Okay guys so thank you for all suggestions, after seeing if my video editing software needs gpu it seems it's not as important as CPU. So I ended up with a https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=9QZ65EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

AMD Ryzen™ 7 4700U (2.0 GHz base clock, up to 4.1 GHz max boost clock, 8 MB L3 cache, 8 cores)
16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
512gb SSD
1080p touchscreen IPS panel with pen
Comes with fast USBC charging plus 10gbps transfer speed too which is a bonus.

Managed to get it for £900 with 3 year warranty from HP direct :) and 3% cashback.

Hopefully this should be speedy machine with my needs.

Steven

Senior Moderator
@Figorulz11 not bad, be interested in your reports of temps with different usage. Lots of YouTube says the Envy 2020b with AMD is a smarter buy then the more expensive X360 Spectre 2020 with Intel

Figorulz11

@Figorulz11 not bad, be interested in your reports of temps with different usage. Lots of YouTube says the Envy 2020b with AMD is a smarter buy then the more expensive X360 Spectre 2020 with Intel
Oh really? didn't know this. I'll see if i can get some figures for you Steven, it's for a family member this laptop so i'll see if im allow haha.

Steven

Senior Moderator
@Figorulz11 that's very kind but I don't need formal temp readings. Whether the machine is comfortable to have on the lap when being properly used is fine :p

Steven

Senior Moderator
Yikes 250 nits is low, do not recall YouTube reviews saying that but might need my memory

Is 13" display going to need big enough for video editing? Can always external monitor though

Figorulz11

Yikes 250 nits is low, do not recall YouTube reviews saying that but might need my memory

Is 13" display going to need big enough for video editing? Can always external monitor though
Yeah UK/EU only get 250 nits compared to US who have a choice of 400 and 1000 nits plus wifi 6.

It should be okay I think, can always hook upto external monitor so not too fussed on that part.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom