Best kit for first time separate's on a budget

stethorn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I am looking at setting up my first separate's system and aint got a clue where to start and what i need to get started.
I want to start of as cheap as possible to get started, if I am correct saying I can upgrade a piece at a time in the future.
I've got a 7.1 samsung av receiver and a bluray player, I am not sure if I can use these to reduce cost.
The things I was looking at just going out and buying was a cd player, Av receiver and amp is there any other things I would need on top of that other than speakers?

I tired this 10 years ago and brought a technics separates system, I was disappointed with this as it connected together using built in cables so you could not upgrade it :-(. I then went out a few years ago and purchased a sony giga juke multiroom hifi. This is the most annoying hifi ever, and the best thing about it is the fact that all the music is stored on the disk, and has a feature called X Dj which will pick music based on what you want, i.e pop, disco., etc. I would like some sort of HD storage in the future on the system i am looking to build.

Any advise people can give will be great. I am tempted to buy 2nd hand if I can get a good deal.

Ste

Hi and welcome.

You say you're on budget but stating an actual budget will invariably lead to more prescriptive replies.

Also, you mention AVR's... This is the hifi section and so most on here will recommend stereo kit.

If music is your priority I too would suggest a stereo set up; kept separate from any surround system you may want to keep.

All the best

Darren

Sony ES (Stereo) equipment. 1970-90s equipment.

Hi

As stated- what is the budget?
what will the primary function of this system, music or films?
Your current set-up is a samsung what? (model)

You would like some ext hdd storage for future, so i assume by that you intend to stream music, films or both. That could be a usb ext hdd or a NAS drive, So a streamer like a SB touch, sonos, roku, etc will be required at some point unless you intend to use a pc or laptop.
What media is the majority of your music in on now, (cd or file format- mp3, flac etc)? If file format, then you may as well look at a streamer and ext hdd now.

what speakers do you have or did they come with the samsung?

This is the Sammy i have now 7.1 Channel Home Theater Surround Sound Receiver | Samsung HW-C700 - Home Theater Systems . I brought the model with the speaker pack, it has 7 samsung book shelf speakers and one huge sub woofer. I have never really been happy with the receiver and wish I had read up and got the Onkyo. (
maybe i just ain't got it set up correct).

Budget, well I havn't set anything, I will pay what I need to do. But with starting out I would sooner keep it under £500 for now, I would of said £250 but I know I wont get anything for that !!.

They will be used for Music, I have lot of cds which are in the loft as the sony hold them all on the HD. I am happy to stick with cd, its just a pain when you cant find what cd you want to listen to.

Am I right saying that you can mix brands ? Also if I buy 2nd hand parts, can I replace each part one by one and it will all work together ?

I am really unsure about speakers, I have always wanted floor standing ones, but when I have been looking space has been an issue for them.

My main question is what is the bare min that I need in order to get up and running ?

stethorn said:
My main question is what is the bare min that I need in order to get up and running ?

Speakers and an amp....you can run something like an iPod from a 3.5mm jack to 2xRCA lead.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom