Best Integrated Stereo Amplifier to go with Kef Q4 Floorstander Speakers? £Hundreds

Stu111121

Standard Member
Hello

I hope that you can help me.

I have a pair of Kef Q4 speakers (floorstanders) which I want to keep for the long term.

Their spec is:

Design 3 way bass reflex
Drive units 130 mm (5.25") UNI-Q® with
19 mm (3/4") aluminium dome
130 mm (5.25") woofer
Frequency response at 15° horizontally off axis ±3 dB 42 Hz - 27 kHz
Crossover frequency 250 Hz - 2.8kHz
Amplifier requirements 15 - 150 W
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 90 dB
Maximum output 111 dB
Impedance 8 Ohms
Magnetic shielding Yes

I am currently looking (finally) to buy an Amplifier to go with them as they are currently fed from a rubbishy Sony micro system (65W per channel Max).

My Question is: Which is the best Amp to get to go with my Kef Q4 speakers? -

I am really seeking an engaging musical sound experience (rather than either, just power or, just lifelessness/dull).

I do not really know how much I need to spend and what to buy to do them enough justice (but also not to make them the weak link as I really want to keep the Kef Q4s for the long-term.)

Note: I really don't need lots of inputs for different sources as I tend to stream my music in as the source (via Apple Mac using their Lossless format) and so am not looking to buy a CD source. I have noticed that many Amps have lots of inputs which I may not really use and this seems a waste (possibly of money too!).

I have read that it is advisable to get as powerful an amp as possible within the range specified (up to 150 Watts at 8 ohms); I have however noticed that powerful amps cost more!

So, I do not really know what the minimum Max Output Wattage of the Amp I should be looking for is?

My current shortlist in ascending price order (from £170 to £900 !), (and from 45 Watts per channel to 150 watts per channel max output at 8 ohms):

Cambridge Audio Azur 340 ASE (Max output: 45 Watts per channel at 8 ohms) cost circa £170.

Harman Kardon HK980 (Max output: 80 Watts per channel at 8 ohms) cost circa £270.

Marantz PM6003 (Max output: 45 Watts per channel at 8 ohms) cost circa £275. Note I have heard that this one may be a bit "lifeless"?

Cambridge Audio Azur 650 A (Max output: 75 Watts per channel at 8 ohms) cost circa £350.

Yamaha A-S700 (Max output: 90 Watts per channel at 8 ohms) cost circa £350.

Naim Nait 5i (Max output: 50 Watts per channel at 8 ohms) cost circa £700. Note I have had some advice that a Naim Nait 5i would be wasting my money as the Kef Q4s would not sound appreciable better than a Marantz PM6003, and that is a £425 difference!)

Roksan Kandy 2 (Max output: 125 Watts per channel at 8 ohms) cost circa £850

Harman Kardon HK 990 (Max output: 150 watts per channel at 8 ohms) cost circa £900

If you think any are better or worse suited, or can steer me in another direction to best make a decision then your help or guidance would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom