Best input settings in Denon avr-x2300w

priasda

Novice Member
Hi,
Need some advice on recommended input settings for Denon avr-x2300w.

1. Previously I was connecting the receiver with an old 4K LED TV so my input devices(Firestick 4K) were connected to the receiver.
Now I have got a Panasonic Oled TV (65HZ980B). Should I continue connecting Firestick 4K to the receiver or for best results I should consider connecting to TV instead? FYI - the TV has e-ARC port.
2. Also is there specific settings or recommendation for connecting devices to specific hdmi inputs? I was under the impression all inputs are identical but noticed when I connect my Firestick 4k to hdmi inputs marked for game or blue-ray I do get "DD+ DS" in avr display but actually output comes as a stereo with sounds coming from only front R & L.
However when I connect to AUX2 input I get "DD+" in AVR display along with 5.1 sound. I can't figure out why this would be the case or if I'm missing some basic settings

Attachments

• IMG_20210705_210819.jpg
    IMG_20210705_210819.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 35

dante01

Distinguished Member
Simply continue as you were and connect your Firestick to the AV receiver. There's nothing to be gained by connecting it to your TV and then passing the audio through and out to the AV receiver, especially not if using your model of AV receiver which isn't eARC enabled. You'd need both the TV and the AV receiver to be eARC enabled in order to benefit from eARC.

All the inputs apart from the pne on the front are identical. You can connect whatever you want to any of them. Note that each source can have its own individual settings relative to the mode the receiver would be using and some of the other features. This is why you get different results relative to the different inputs//sources.

THe double D symbol followed by D_ indocated =s that the incoming format is Dolby Digital PLus. THe double D symbol followed by an S indicates you've engaged Dolby Surround Upmixing.

priasda

Novice Member
Simply continue as you were and connect your Firestick to the AV receiver. There's nothing to be gained by connecting it to your TV and then passing the audio through and out to the AV receiver, especially not if using your model of AV receiver which isn't eARC enabled. You'd need both the TV and the AV receiver to be eARC enabled in order to benefit from eARC.

All the inputs apart from the pne on the front are identical. You can connect whatever you want to any of them. Note that each source can have its own individual settings relative to the mode the receiver would be using and some of the other features. This is why you get different results relative to the different inputs//sources.

THe double D symbol followed by D_ indocated =s that the incoming format is Dolby Digital PLus. THe double D symbol followed by an S indicates you've engaged Dolby Surround Upmixing.
Thanks a lot for clarifying. Which one ideally should give better sound effect - "DD+" or "DD+ DDS" Personally I have found the later sounds better but it may be just a perception.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Dolby Surround is an upmixing mode that would create pseudo channels for any speakers present in your setup that the native audio hasn't discrete channels for. It would be a matter of personal preference whether you apply this or simply listen to the audio as it was originally mixed and authored. Some like to listen to soundtracks without such upmixing, while others prefer to use it.

Last edited:

priasda

Novice Member
Dolby Surround is an upmixing mode that would create pseudo channels for any speakers present in your setup that the native audio hasn't discrete channels for. It would be a matter of personal preference whether you apply this or simply listen to the audio as it was originally mix and authored. Some like to listen to soundtracks without such upmixing, while prefer to use it.
Any idea where exactly I can control this? My confusion is I'm not applying any upmixing(or at least don't remember if I unknowingly changed any settings in the past). It's coming automatically based on device and certain inputs, e.g. TV's inbuilt prime video app is also sending "DD+ DDS" instead of "DD+"

dante01

Distinguished Member
SElect the source you want to use and then press and hold down the MOVIE button on the remote. A menu should appear onscreen that includes the modes available. Select whicever mode you'd prefer to use or select the actual audio format if not wishing to apply such a mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom