1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Inkjet Manufacturer

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by scrapbook, Jun 25, 2005.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the best printer manufacturer?

I have previously only purchased Epson, but the last two have suffered badly from ink getting on the rollers and then being transferred on to the paper as a result.

I am thinking of going down the HP route, or should I try Canon or something else??

2. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well I am dead chuffed with my Canon printer I bought last year. It's an I865 which I don't think they make anymore. I bought it because it has a CD tray to print straight onto DVD's.

When the Canon ink ran out I bought Inkrite from Ebuyer which is only £1.50 per cartridge, it's cheap and to my eyes just as good as the original stuff.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having owned several Epsons myself I now have a Canon IP4000. Great printer & highly recommended.

I'll never be buying an Epson again.

:smoke:

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Canon IP5000

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I have previously owned 3 Canon ink jet printers and they have all been excellent. I currently have an Epson R200 that is also very good and only got this because at the time Canon didn't have a printer that could print directly onto a CD/DVD disc.

Mark.

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I was thinking of going for an HP with built in wireless connectivity. Anyone got one of those or similar by a different manufacturer?

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a Canon with wireless connectivity too :smashin:

8. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A wireless printer? But... don't you need a ..... maybe not then.

Funny isn't it, I've got a so called wireless network and yet if I look down around my PC area, I can hardly see the carpet for cables. There's thick ones, there's clever ones, there's very thin ones and there's even ones that could kill you. In truth, wireless actually means 'within 6 feet of a mains socket' unless it's battery powered in which case 'it will soon need to be within 6 feet of a mains socket' :)

In fact just looking at my nest of cables and little power supplies, there's at least 3 that I don't know what they do! I reckon the neighbor has popped round late one night and is powering his set up from my mains supply!

Back to printers..... I've got two epsons. One I bought recently and one I bought about five years ago but was 'resting at the marital home' until I rescued it recently. It's quieter and faster than the new one and the ink cartridges last longer. I've never had any problems with them apart from the ink drying out when not in use for a month or more so I'm a bit of an epson fan.

Jon.

9. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    another canon vote, I've got an i965 and it's ace :)

10. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Which one?

11. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know its OT but I like lasers. Got me a Tally 8006e off ebay. 24ppm B/W / 6ppm full colour. Toner cartridges good of 7000 pages (which is lucky as they'll cost a fortune).

Only thing it can't do is print CDs/DVDs

And when the toner does run out I'll strip out the insides, move it to london and sell it as a 1 bed flat, should be worth 100k easy.

I love the smell of ozone in the morning, it smells like, I don't know, poison.

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Canon IP8500 here, had it a couple of weeks now and am still absolutely amazed at the quality of the prints when printing on proper paper. There's no difference between this and what you would get from a professional developer (or not noticable by me printing A4 sized)

13. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yep, another vote for Canon.

I have a pixma ip4000 and it's great, two paper trays, seperate clear ink tanks and cd/dvd printing (which actually prints in the centre of the disc,unlike the epson I also have)

Another advantage is that the print head can be replaced!

In fact the only bad thing I can say about this printer is that the ink level status display isn't very accurate and can be a bit erratic ( oh the yellow needs replacing, oh now it's full again, great now I can print this..hang on a minute :censored: it's empty again,etc etc )

Don't buy an epson, I've had three and they all got clogged up.

14. the_jinj

the_jinj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I have a Canon iP4000 and it is the dogs - the best printer I have ever owned and highly recommended

15. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I agree on the ip4000. Doggies gonads. I also have an Epson 2000P which is pigmentation rather than dye - so it lasts a lot longer.

The other thing to bear in mind is that in terms of cost, inkjets are sold on the razor blades business model, which means that INK is expensive, not the printer, in fact they virtually give away the printer to make you buy ink.

In this context, Toms Hardware does a cost per page model and in general HP and Lexmark are the MOST expensive to run, Epson is in the middle and Canon is really cheap. sometimes as little as half the cost. That really mounts up when you think a full set of cartridges cost £30-£50.

That's also why I love my canon, I've had 400 double sided colour pages (mixed text and photos) from my first set of cartridges and then some. Not only that the ink tanks are separate and they are cheap as chips - £7 each.

I did have an HP once, years ago, but I never got that good quality with it. Some of my family have also purchased them and I'm not impressed.

Cheers

Rajiv

16. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Canons are one of the few brands you can afford to buy genuine ink for!