Best indoor aerial

GodAtum

Standard Member

lbear

This DVB-T adapter 7dayshop.com - Online Store comes with a better than average aerial for such sticks which are usually the single wire type shown at the bottom of the page you link to. . ALL PC sticks tend to need good signal areas so you may need to amplify and distribute the signal from your rooftop aerial. This would likely be cheaper than any of the "One for All" brands. I have never managed to get any amplified aerials to work in my area. I suggest if you are going to Maplins to ger SetTop TV Aerial Free Delivery : Indoor TV Aerials : Maplin rather than anything pretending to be a mini sculpture and amplify it separately.

GodAtum

Standard Member

lbear

There is no such thing as a digital aerial and any company that attempts to sell you one should be treated with caution. Generally DVB-T and even more so DVB-T2 as used for HD is considerably more tolerant to "multipath" ie reflections, than analogue and there is a cut off point where you get break-up ("blocking") and then nothing as your signal drops below a critical level. There is none of the snow etc experienced with analogue so in general digital TV is "all or nothing".

In these circumstances retailers can sell you an aerial that is so prone to multipath etc that it is ONLY suitable for digital. In other words, "digital aerial" often implies inferior reception properties!.

GodAtum

Standard Member
Ah i see. Would I get freeview HD then?

fernandez

Would I get freeview HD then?
Depends where you are but enter your details here

Freeview HD coverage checker

Remember though that, where available, most Freeview HD is being transmitted at around half the power of SD.
In view of the fact that you say that you're not even supposed to receive standard Freeview the signs aren't good.

mike7

If your tuner has a DVB-T2 then you might. Ordinary Freeview tuners will not pick up HD. This certainly includes the plug-in device you have quoted. Unless you are very lucky, or use a rooftop aerial, then I think you might struggle to get Freeview satisfactorily.

Last edited:

lbear

No, if you re-read what I said, the two digital transmission systems used in this country for TV can "get away with" worse signal conditions than analogue in terms of reflections. On analogue sets this causes "ghosting" or multiple pictures overlaid on each other. Most of the aerials on the page you linked to receive from roughly 360 degrees so there will be many reflections if you are in such a poor area but a DVB-T receiver will select the strongest of these for a perfect picture and DVB-T2 copes with this even better in my experience. The one I pointed out to you, apart from being the cheapest!, looks to be the most "directional" and would therefore provide the stronger signal in weaker signal areas without amplification.

There are very few DVB-T2 computer cards or sticks available although Hauppenage have announced one. You would need to be in a Freeview HD service area and probably have to use your rooftop aerial because of the lower power most transmitters are on until the end of 2012. You might also need to have a powerful computer to process the signal information for a HD picture.

Trending threads

Top Bottom