Best In-Ear Headphones?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jfsebastian, Jun 13, 2008.

1. jfsebastian

jfsebastian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I was planning on upgrading from Shure E4Cs to Sure SE530s until I heard about the new Klipsch Image earphones. After looking for them on the Web I saw the Custom 3 model as well. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on Klipsch earphones, especially compared to Shure's top-end range?

I would like to invest my hard earned cash in a pair of earphones that have excellent sound (of course) but are also well made and durable, with good noise-isolating capabilities and a good fit.

I know that Shure are generally perceived to be the best for top-end earphones but I know very little about Klipsch's products and reputation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Can't comment on the Klipsch's but if it helps the Shures offer fantastic sound, noise isolation is great (they beat some noise cancelling headphones on the Gadget Show the other week) and are incredibly well built and feel built to last a very long time.

3. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Another vote for the 530's... You may be able to find the e500 (which is the one before the e530) but some have said it's the same phone but repackaged.... Not sure if thats true as having found the e500 I have stopped searching for now.

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Another vote for the Shure E500 / SE530s from me - the best headphone I've heard. They sound great driven by an iPod, and even better driven by a decent hi-fi system. They're in a different league from everything else I've tried - well worth the money.

5. mpw2081

mpw2081

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    these seem very good from reviews i have read

Denon AH-C351 £39.00 ish

Sennheiser CX300 noise-isolating earphone £34.00 ish

hope this helps

mark:thumbsup:

6. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    But they may not be an upgrade from his Shure e4c

7. whitesnake11

whitesnake11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +631
    I have the SE 530's, stunning is the only word to use.:thumbsup:

8. boardingdan

boardingdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have to agree, I haven't heard the Klipsch Image earphones your asking about, but to be honest the SE530 are that good you won't regret it if you just bought them and never looked at the other ones. the clarity of the sound is amazing so natural, you'd swear the they we playing inside your head:thumbsup:. Plus they are the best noise canceling headphone.
    I have to admit that I had to modify the in ear plug to fit comfortably by cutting off the the first of the 3 rubber flanges, but now they fit so good I can lie in bed with my head on it's side on the pillow and it's conformable to even sleep with. :boring:
    Doesn't really answer your question but just saying you won't go wrong with the SE530.

An play.com have them for £199.99 at the moment

9. mikes1

mikes1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Shure Se 530's are excellent but as an alternative have a look at Westone Um2's slightly lower spec but also comfortable and easy to use.

Lower cost too if you acquire some via the US

:clap:

10. chihangs

chihangs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    triple fi 10 pro is very good...i have a pair and they sound great

11. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,503
    I have a pair of Shure E4G's (black gaming edition of E4C) and bought Westone UM2's

Post here

To update on that post, I have since bought the black shure foam tips. The new style ones that came along with the new line. The tips are great comfort and fit wise and really help make the bass more pronounced in the Shure's. But everything I made in that post still applies and the UM2s are my choice of IEM

Of course I have largely ignored the Shure SE series so it is worth doing research on that front

12. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +924
    Shure SE530's. Second to non for comfort & quality but if your used to cheaper base heavy ones you may think the 530's lack base even though most reviews say they have great base. Its what your used too I suppose.

Coming from Sony cheap (£40 max) type ones the Shures are supremely clean & sharp but I've had to use EQ to get more base on my W960i & iPod purely because I'm used to base heavy Sony ones even though I now realise the Sony heavy base dulls out everything else.

Other problem I had was top quality ones highlight imperfections in 128kbps files I originally based my iTunes library o & I'm now re-doing them all in 256-320kbps :rolleyes: Talk about time consuming :thumbsdow

13. heavysoul

heavysoul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, my first post here!

I came across this site when searching for reviews on earphones to replace my Shure E3Cs which have seen better days!!

So... I've ended up ordering the SE530s and am eagerly awaiting delivery this morning!!

Come on postie!!

...... hang on, a bright red Royal Mail van has just pulled up outside!!

14. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,503
    Just to point out you should either be starting from scratch by ripping from CDs or from lossless files

Converting files into a higher bitrate will not help at all and actually makes the SQ worse as you are adding in another layer of distortion

Why? You cannot put back in what you have already lost

15. andyUK101

andyUK101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +456
    Agreed,

If you are using the SE530s you really wont be doing them justice with 128kpbs mps/aac

I would definitely rerip all the music you intend to use as 320kpbs or consider an alternate player such as Sony

I have an Ipod Touch and an old Sony HD5 and the sound quality is miles better on the Sony, despite the quirkyness of the firmware

16. whitesnake11

whitesnake11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +631
    I have a Cowon D2 and convert music using FLAC files, the sound is superb through my SE530's:thumbsup:

17. andyUK101

andyUK101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +456
    Ive been thinking about a new audio player to replace the HD5 but hadnt looked at Cowon

I used to have an Iriver 140 and it was superb but didnt last very long - flac playback would be excellent as i really notice the different between different quality encodes on the shures

At home i use a set of UE superfi 5.pro with a creative Xmod and they sound fantastic

18. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +924

Cheers, I know that bit but thanks anyway.

Most of my tracks are 320kbps mp3 in WMP11 but I created iTunes Library at 128AAC for the limited memory on the Nano. I'm mostly recreating the iTunes library now from the 320kbps mp3 files but I also have to re-rate them again which is the time consuming bit (I make big use of star rating playlists).

19. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +924

Yes my Walkman W960i phone sounds better than my iPod Nano and am now using clean 320kpbs mp3's

20. whitesnake11

whitesnake11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +631
    Cowon are well worth a look if your thinking about a new player, it uses SDHC memory cards as well, capacity depends on your pocket:)