1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best in-ear headphones for up to £50?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mince bigalow, Feb 9, 2004.

1. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I want a really nice pair of in-ear headphones for personal stereo listening. The question is I don't know of any headphones better than Sony grooves. What are the best in ear type headphones I can get for under £50?

Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I have heard them and for in ear they are the best i have heard (dont listen to a huge amount of headphone tho) go have a lsiten, I guess it depends on the source to a certain extent!
    They have nothing lower than a 4 star and main con is price, if you have the cash they seem pretty god, no idea what they are comparing the "par" bass response too tho!

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    The sony EX-71s are not bad for £35 too.

6. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Sony MDR-E848 are superb, if you can still find them.

Mike.

7. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony EX-71s are the worst audio product I've ever bought.

Horrible sibilance on some track made them virtually unlistenable. Also when you're wearing them while walking around you get a nasty swish swish sort of sound transmitted into your ear - must be through movement of the cable. Also while outside if its windy you get a really exagerated wind noise - no idea why that should be, presumably something to do with their shape in your ear.

Nasty.

8. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I have owned both Sony EX-71s and the better (but older - EX-70's). There is definately more treble on the newer 71's - sibilance no, bass extension isnt as good either.

I prefer the older 70's bass reproduction which has more grunt - probably due there increased SPL, etc.

If you can get hold of the older 70's then they would be my choice. The b&o's look nice to but at £90 they are way over your budget.

I have seen the 71's going for £25 on Amazon.

Regards,

GJC

9. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    errrr sibilance yes.

Although the particular tracks it affected worst were compressed ATRAC tracks, LP2 I think or maybe even LP4.

Anyway whatever - I don't recommend them. They get tangled really really quickly too.

Those B&O's look lovely though

10. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I would say that there is no sibilance when used with a decent recording. I have not heard any sibilance even with ATrac - type R. And treble is crystal clear when applied to Digital Recordings.

We'll agree to disagree on the sibilance then:D

You will need to wear the correct plugs that come with these so that there is no sound leakage. If you have the correct plugs then most background noise will be cancelled out.

You will get blustery noise's with any in-ear or headphones if you use them in windy conditions.

---

I agree they get tangled up easily and they need running in too. But for the money nothing at the £25 priced point for that style of headphone/earphone beats them.

Audition - you wont be dissapointed.

11. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info guys, ive found the B&O A8s on ebay for £62, that sounds like a good deal. anyone like to comment on if theyre woth twice the sonys? BTW at the mo I have a pair of Sony grooves. Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

thanks

12. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I would go with the b&o's for that money.

13. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second Dazed comments on the 71s. It was only certain tracks but it was painfull to listen to. For most tracks they are fairly good and the bass is the most I've heard from in-ears (not that detailed but plenty of it :) ).

I'm now using Shure E1's and they are just fantastic but fairly over your budget. ;)

I still use the 71's when festing and general roughing it. I've read a lot of -ve stuff on the B&O's but that's usually comparing to Etys and Shures which are double what you've found the B&Os for.