1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best in-ear earphones?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Tipsy, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Tipsy

Tipsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have an idea on which in-ear earphones are the best for £30-50? Cheers

2. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
  3. Funky

Funky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A brand new in-ear phones by Victor JVC!!! Victor JVC HP-FX55 Gumy Phones.
    I got mine couple days ago. They are pretty good from high, low, isolation and comfort. Check them out

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Seconded.

5. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thirded

6. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Fourthded.

7. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone recomend the E3c ??

goin for 75 rooks on ebay.. im tempted .. oh ..... so... t...e..m...p...t..e..d ! :thumbsup:

8. Tipsy

Tipsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about the rumoured poor base performance on the e2c has this posed a problem for anyone?

9. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im steerin clear of the E2c cuz of mentioned 'problem'....

a song without thumpin base is a song with it's balls cut off!

im thinkin about fontopias cuz of the jacked up ' bass department', construction problems aside!

10. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not a problem if they're fitted/sealed properly - though I guess it depends on what kind of music you listen to, and your own preferences.

11. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just some reviews;
    'Sometimes difficult to get perfect seal, lack of bass'
    and;
    '
    Before you consider buying the E3C, decide what you want to use them for, and what type of music you will be listening to.

If the answer is more bass driven music like drum and bass or trance, you may want to pass on the E3C.'

and those are the E3c's that are sposed to be leap in performance from E2c's!!

im sorry but iv finally decided im not gonna invest in shure brand.. I MUST HAVE BASS ON TOAST !!
    im already smartin from the HD3's lack of output.. if a savvy set phones also compound this problem its really gonna be a double insult!

for £300 outlayed altogether i should be gettin somethin more spectacular than 'whisperin bob harris'!!

anyone got any good feedback on the ectymorpho thingy me bobs???

I MUST HAVE THE BASS, GODAMIT!

12. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    You guys keep going on about the supposed lack of bass from the Shure's, but have you actually heard any? I get the impression you have picked just a couple of reviews from the many reviews out there, and concluded they lack bass. The E2C definitely does NOT lack bass... and the only reason it would is if you fail to put them into your ears properly. The E3C has less bass than the E2C however, the latter would clearly be a better buy for you.

My mate has E2C's and I've listened to them, and take it form me, this dance music fan had no bass problems at all... in fact I was surprised at the quantity of bass on offer from them, as I wasnt expecting much.

The only ear phones you'll find with more bass than those are the Sony MDR-EX71, and they lack in just as many other areas in comparison.

If you want to hear bass, then stay away from Etymotic whatever you do...

13. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    '...Overall the £125 Shure E3c's perform very well and were more to our tastes than the muffled and lacking bass of the e2c's, but as always you should choose carefully, if you like music with great clarity and richness then these could be for you, should you want substantial bass then you may still be disappointed.'

lordpercy.com.

there ya go.. its not a few reviews that mention lack of bass... ITS ALL REVIEWS IV EVER READ ABOUT THE SHURE RANGE (excludin E5c).

its one of the lack of features that the reviewers are quick to point out primarily!

im sorry but bass is the livin pulse/heartbeat of a song.. if its lackin the music dies on its arse!

im checkin out a pair of **** poor fontopias.. at only 25 squidys its an experiment that you dont mind goin wrong... but id be mortified if i splashed out serious cash and got a set of phones that castrated my music collection!

good day gentleman.. i said GOOD DAY, LOL

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    From my experience, if you want decent bass then in-ear headphones are never going to satisfy you. I tried a number before going for some cans, have never looked back since.

15. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well this is the plan... im buyin a pair of sony 71s as a crude experiment.. gonna break those in then invest in a pair of E3c's when im more flush after glastonbury.

instead of agonisin over which pair to buy and developin a multiple personality disorder by readin all the conflictin reviews, im gonna gradually hoover up all the models mentioned and make up my own mind.

im startin at the bottom with 71s then workin my way up.. by christmas ill have a house full of earphones and lots of big opinions lol.

16. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    LOL, so your going on about bass, and then your going to buy the least bassy Shure you can buy.... :rotfl:

Well, I'd just stick to the EX71's if thats all your after ;)

Perhaps you should check this graph out, where you can clearly see the bass is very prominent on the E2C....

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php...raphID[3]=&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

Better still, check this graph out that compares the E2C and E3C, and you can clearly see the E3C has LESS bass than the E2C.

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php...raphID[3]=&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

That review is a load of crap.

Why dont you try and search headfi, I doubt you'd find many opinions on there stating the Shure's lack bass - the only time I've ever heard it complained about it when they dont have them in properly.

17. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    F8CK IT... im investin in a pair of alba bud earphones for two quid.. cant go wrong there.. ill just stick to whackin myself in the head with a bullpine hammer 140 times a minute .

i hate you

18. Stewtheking

Stewtheking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: what an audiophile! :thumbsup:

Stew

19. aidey6

aidey6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've just received a set of Sony EX70's via ebay (they're unboxed, but for the money i'm not complaining!!) they were to replace the standard set which came with the Value Pack PSP...

The clarity is pretty good :thumbsup:

20. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i have just received a brand new pair of shure e2c's and they are going up on ebay tomorrow. i find them very uncomfortable even with the different size buds. They were to replace my old ex71's. i might buy another pair of them. is anyone interested in a new (used once) pair of sure e2c's??

any other recommendations for in ear headphones?

21. Brolac

Brolac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listen to talk radio type stations,and classical stuff and on someones recommendations from this forum (I think) I plumped for the Sennheiser MX500's at under £15 from Argos of all places :D they have a nice satisfying all round sound you don't normally get with phones in this budget
    range.

Brolac

22. AGW

AGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have both EX 71's and Etymotic ER6i's

EX71's are pretty poor. ER6i's sounded flat with the rubber tips they are fitted with as they did not seal properly in my ears but switching to the foam tips they are also supplied with transformed them. The bass is superb and all background noise is just about wiped out.

Also, there is a fix elsewhere on this site for the HD3 volume that works a treat.

23. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Bass:
    EX71 > E2c > E3c > ER6i

EX71 = excessive. If you like that sort of thing, it's great.
    E2c = Really quite a good balance. It's not excessively bassy but I don't believe it's lacking.
    E3c = yes, in some cases I think you can call it lacking, but it's still passable.
    ER6i = bass? where? it's crossed over the anaemia threshold from the E3c.

24. shiveringgoat

shiveringgoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony X71's have worn on the wire cover just below the left ear the material is very flimsy only had them 3 months....sounds good though

Goat:)