Best in Class

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Whisper, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you call a Woodpecker without a beak...a headbanger. What do you call someone looking to buy a DVD/HDD Recorder...a headbanger ! I have spent the last millenium going from one review to another trying to find the ideal recorder as transferring to DVD via a PC is just not possible with current technology :censored: . There seems to be no definitive answer to which recorder is best. In the end the choice is yours. I was going for the Panasonic DMR-E75, then the Panasonic DMR-85, the Pioneer 520-H and now I've settled for the Toshiba RD-XS32...I think. Trouble is it didn't even feature in the 'What Video' awards and rated only four stars in their review but in these forums rates very highly. It seems to be the 'Ford Focus' of the DVD recorder world - you know, a good all rounder :laugh: . But now I've read that's it's noisy and has a potential rival in it's big brother out next year. Well, unless it starts hanging round street corners picking on old ladies with hairnets and relieving them of their Bingo money I'm buying it - any one got a problem with that !!! ( :)

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    E500

3. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    undefinedundefinedundefined
    Yes Ekko Star you're right - an excellent pice of kit :smashin: ....unfortunately it would be open wallett surgery for my rather small budget ;) .

4. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You will not regret getting the Tosh...until the Freeview 250Gb one comes out, but at least this way you get a piece of kit this side of Xmas!!

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Youll be replacing whatever you buy in 5 years time anyway for a HDTV, 3 terrabyte HDD, Bluray, web programmable, epg, alarm clock and tea maker, which will cost half the price. At £360 the toshiba is a good temporary measure before the next big thing.

the noise level, not sure if its subjective or some units are worse than others. I sit 3 metres away from mine, can only hear it if everything else is off. Its certainly quieter than my projector (which i use on low lamp and is 2 metres away from me). Its obviously silent when off! Makes the most noise when dubbing to same source (which you would expect if its reading and writing to ahard disk.

Every model you will buy will have a rival from the stable every 6 months to a year. Thats technology.

And as for what video, well toshiba obviously didnt take out enough adverts. there are a number of people on here who have used the Philips, Panny, Tosh and Pioneer. And can give objective reviews. The prolem with the Tosh is that when you first use it you only have a easy nav screen to make it easy, otherwise its 10 options or more per quick menu and it takes a while to know whats available. Once you have lived with it and read the manual a couple of times you realise just how flexible it is, something the reviewers wont know as they only get a short time to scratch the surface.

6. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes thanks Nunew33. I look forward to the days when my AV equipment makes me tea in the morning but for now I'l have to settle for the Au'pair in her off the shoulder number :devil: !

You're right about technology....One can wait for the perfect model to come along but it's never going to happen and will always be replaced as you say by the next best thing.

Think I can live with the noise too. There is one other question and I apologise now if it should be a new thread but this is only my third post (and I made a slight faux-pas with the second :oops: )so bear with me. Is there any point updating my stand-alone DVD player (Toshiba SD330E) to a newer one say the PIONEER DV575AK (£130 @HiFix :thumbsup: ) if I'm already going to buy the Toshiba DVD recorder ? I can't make my mind up.

7. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    What woul be your reason for upgrading DVD player?

I have a player and recorder in same rack. Player is only used for Cd's at the moment

8. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Umm....you got me there. I originally wanted to upgrade to a progressive scan player as my TV (Toshiba PF2) has this capability. But as the DVD recorder outputs progressive scan the only reason would be (not a good one I know) to have the latest player !!

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Tosh XS32 is a rather commendable player in it's own right. You will be surprised as to how good the PS output is from it.

I would save yourself £130....or put it towards an E500.

10. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, PIONEER DV575AK plays DVD-Audio, SACD and also DivX.
    If these are requirements for you, then you should buy it, because the Tosh XS 32 will not play none of them.
    Otherwise, it is a personal thing, I mean, I have a dedicated CD/DVD player and a DVD recorder. I play my DVDs and CDs in my dedicated CD/DVD player. Why ? Because although I can not say that my DVD recorder is noisy, my DVD player is completely silent when playing anything.
    Besides, with regarding CDs the sound is so much better with my dedicated CD/DVD player.
    Regarding Video, honestly i can see no diference.

Note: I have a 5.1 setup.

Best regards

11. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no, there's another well reasoned arguement for me to get in a tizz about ! Yes, having a dedicated CD/DVD player would be handy as well particularily if I'm using the recorder to....record. I don't have a hi-fi at the moment either as I was fed up listening to my parents all-in-one unit and swapped it wth mine (good move Christopher !). So, before anyone says it - why don't I buy a new hi-fi complete with CD player....but that's another thread.