1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best In-Ceiling Speakers???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SpiderManPants, Feb 19, 2003.

1. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all,

I will be moving home within the month and want to install my system before decorating the living area. My current kit consists of a Denon 3801, M&K S85 Centre, Left and Right and MX-70B Sub. Future upgrades are to include a Rotel 1075 or 985 Mk2.

As you can see, my front soundstage is pretty much sorted. However, the only option I have for my rears is 'in-ceilings'.
    Can anyone recommend me some that will be a good match tonally for my fronts? As getting a demo of such things is nigh on impossible in the Stoke-on-Trent area.

My room is approx. 16' x 11' and I plan to add 4 rear speakers, utilising the Denons 7.1 capabilities.

Whatever I get needs to be good with both movies and music, as I quite enjoy listening to certain CD's using the Denon's '5/7 Channel Stereo' DSP.

I have considered the S85 in-wall range, but they are far too expensive for my budget.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

SMP

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What aboot the Kef Ci2000? (it's like the Kef Model 200 centre but for in wall)

Nathan

4. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They look very nice Uncle 'E', but how much do such things cost?
    I fear lots of $$$$$$'s is the answer...

5. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nathan, but they would be far too large for my particular application. Also, my experience with Kef speakers is that they're nothing special I'm afraid, IMHO. (Don't attack me for saying this everyone!):suicide:

6. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The SW85 uses the same drive units as the S85's , so the balance and coherence is likely to be better with these. If you like what the S85 does, I'm sure you'll like the SW85

7. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ideally I would love to add 4 x SW85s to my system, but unfortunately these things cost far too much for my current budget. New house = New kitchen + New bathroom etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for the reply though...

SMP

8. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Linn do a few in wall speakers which can be seen at the bottom of the page here and the sweetspots are in the sale at the bottom of the page here

Don't know what they sound like but being linn they should be quality bits of kit.

Also Ian at Musical Approach in Stafford is a good guy to chat to, give him a ring as he might have some more suggestions.

Cheers
    VC

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Sweetspots are not suited to this application.

It's obvious you are not going to get a good match to the front three.

In order of price here are the units I would look at

Heybrook/JPW IW81's (rectangular and sub £200 a pair)
    Linn Sekrit (£400 a pair, rectangular and very good in wall. Bugger to fit...read instructions carefully!)
    Snells multi-pattern surrounds (around £500-700 I think)
    Snell 800in walls (about £1200 EACH)

On the subject of sweetspots. One of the last jobs I did at StereoStereo involved a refurb of a huge house in Glasgow area. It had high ceilings, open stone fireplace in open plan lounge/entrance hall with ornate ceilings and wood panels. No-where to put speakers. I suggested putting 16 sweetspots in ceilings and building a sub-woofer in to the coal scuttle/ bench seating around the fireplace. We did it. Having heard sweetspots before and knowing how poor they can be I was a little concerned.......amazingly it worked. In fact, everytime I go in to that house I put the cd's on and smile:clap: ...sorry just had to tell someone, not often these things work out so well!

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SMP,
    They are BIG BUCKS indeed. They are also friggin amazing.
    As mentioned before, the obvious choice to go with your S85's are the S85 in walls.

11. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Uncle 'E', as I said before I would love to add these to my system, but I simply cannot afford the asking price of £350 per speaker! Unless of course someone has some for sale???:confused:

SMP

12. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry SMP :(
    Sadly, S85 in-walls are not easily found in used markets.

13. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you're looking in an estate agents window for Surrey & South West London, that is.;)
    I guess the MPS-300 is the king of M&K in walls, but someone would have to be daft enough to rip them out of a recording studio for those to appear on the used market.:laugh:

14. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The MPS-300 is EXACTLY the same product as the SW150, the in wall version of the S150THX system. Bit of an overkill for rear channel duties!!!!!!:eek:

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could work nicely for the new height channel which is on its way :eek:

16. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's just toooooo much all this extra channel stuff!!! :eek:

17. mark4090

mark4090

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the Onkyo SR800 and need new speakers as well. After lots of reading and shopping aroung on the net, I've come to the conclusion that the SW85 in-walls may be the best for my situation. We have 2 dealers in our area (Fort Lauderdale/Miami) and they do not give any deals on them. The SW85's are $400.00 ea. Ouch! Ideally, I'd like to have 6. I was told by one of the dealers to use 1 for the center and another for the rear channel. The SR800 has jacks for 2 rear surrounds and 2 rear. Does this mean I'd need 7? Or Maybe I should get cheaper speakers for both sets of rears? I'm sooo confused. Regardless of what I decide, they need to go into the walls/ceiling. Any suggestions?

Mark

18. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    try Sonance or speaker Craft for mid priced in ceilings. Even Boston Acoustics do them though have never heard theirs. i use the SpeakerCraft in my conservatory and they are great for ambient sound, need a sub in there as well but its a start!

19. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    So whats this then?

20. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tom Holman's 10.2 experiment, and the commercial derivatives that are soon to follow:smoke: Although probably not with 10 channels!:eek:

21. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    from the M&K website.........

Just when you thought it was safe to stop at 6.1 audio channels, Dolby and some adventurous directors and sound designers are doing their best to yet further expand the acoustic palette for films.

A recent special presentation of the Mel Gibson film "We Were Soldiers" featured a remixed soundtrack with an added height channel, played back through speakers that had just been mounted overhead in the theater’s ceiling!

The "Sonic Whole Overhead Sound" process uses Dolby EX to handle the extra channel. For this film, it was used to reposition the sound of helicopters, artillery shells, etc., as well as ambience and environmental sounds, all with spectacular results.

This effort was a collaboration between Dolby Labs, Todd-AO/Soundelux, and the director, Randall Wallace. Other directors have shown interest in the process, and theaters in Los Angeles and New York are making plans to install the additional speakers.

No word yet on whether this process will make its way to DVD, but as we like to say, stay tuned!
    :lesson:

22. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sneaky, very sneaky.

Running the numbers produces the following - 5 discrete channels, running through a matrix decoder could produce the following:

FR+RR = Right Roof
    FL+RL = Left Roof
    Being clever with the front soundstage you could then get FR+FC+FL matrixed together to give you a Front Roof channel! Or even stereo front roofs if you took a risk on how films were going to be mixed!

What does this mean for speaker manufacturers? More money :devil: